Corn in my lawn

Old 06-26-13, 04:59 AM
Corn in my lawn

My neighbor likes to feed the squirrels. She puts out bags and bags of whole ear field corn. Of course my lawn is littered with corn cobs and the squirrels planting the seeds. Is there a chemical that will kill the corn stalks that keep coming up without damaging the grass? I have already spoken to the neighbor about it and she pleads ignorance (says she is feeding the ducks not the squirrels LOL). Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 06:08 AM
Corn

Cut the corn stalks at the top of the ground. The stalks will not re-grow after being cut.

Old 06-26-13, 06:14 AM
Interesting. It will take some time but I will try that..Would adding Preen to the lawn keep further seeds from germinating and growing?

Old 06-26-13, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Easiest would be to just mow over the corn when you cut the grass. I'm not sure how Preen would work but it might be worth a try. Many herbicides like that form a barrier on the soil surface that prevents germination or the seed's new roots from penetrating the barrier of chemical. Many are deactivated if the soil is tilled or disturbed so I'm not sure how it would work if a squirrel digs a hole and buries the seed. You might also try a broad leaf post emergent herbicide like Trimec.

Old 06-26-13, 08:45 AM
I have been mowing over it. The problem is the corn grows much faster than the grass. It makes the lawn look like it needs mowed earlier than it really should..I was hoping something like a Weed B Gon would work, but it obviousily cant stop new stalks from coming up.

Old 06-27-13, 06:14 AM
Herbicides

Remember, corn is actually a grass, not a broad leaf plant.

Old 06-27-13, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Off topic slightly, but in 1966 a group of us high school kids decided the newly plowed football practice field needed coverage. We "acquired" some 100 lbs of corn seed and side by side, we went across the field and planted the corn after dark. It came up. Our coach (McDonald) even was honored by a sign we posted along side...Old McDOnald's farm. Of course the corn and the fescue didn't mix very well.

Old 06-27-13, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Heh... similar story... a bunch of high school seniors thought it would be hilarious to pour 100lbs of bird seed on the football field and have the field covered with birds come game time. Well apparently the fine birdseed got in the astroturf and ruined it somehow, so the kids all got charged with a class 3 felony or something of the sort, since the $$$ value of the field was upwards of $100,000.