Removing pampas grass bush near gas line

Old 07-01-13, 01:59 PM
Removing pampas grass bush near gas line

Recently I had 811 mark my lawn for underground utility lines. Turns out, the gas line is very close to a pampas grass cluster I want to remove (I believe they are less than 1 meter away from each other). Nearby (about 1 meter or so) there is another telecommunication panel/node). Question is this: How safe is it to dig remove the pampas grass? Any safety advice or precaution?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-13, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did they say how deep the gas line is? You should be safe as long as you proceed cautiously. You won't hurt the line by lightly hitting it with a shovel but you don't want any weight behind it.

Old 07-05-13, 09:06 AM
I don't know the depth. The 811 folks won't tell the depth, apparently. How deep is this *typically*? If all we use is shovel and picks, will that ever get to the depth of the gas line?

Old 07-05-13, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gas company can probably tell you what depth the line should be at but there is no garuntee that it is at that depth - that's why you need to proceed cautiously in the area they have marked. It is entirely possible for a shovel or pick to come in contact with the gas line. It's not likely that you would damage the line bumping it with your tools but you don't want to hit it with any force!

Old 07-05-13, 06:19 PM
Many residential fuel gas pipelines laid in the past 15-20 years are plastic and CAN be easily damaged by an errant shovel thrust. Scraping the dirt away is safer although more time consuming.

BTW, I had a clump of Pampas grass at my old house. I tried all sorts of mechanical means to kill that thing and it just came back for more maltreatment. Just like one of those inflatable roly-poly clowns.

Old 07-06-13, 07:15 AM
Pompas Grass

Cut grass to ground level and cover with 6 mil black plastic to block out sunlight.