Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

"Flexible" pipe or other idea for watering slanted ivy section?

"Flexible" pipe or other idea for watering slanted ivy section?


Old 07-09-13, 10:40 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 59
"Flexible" pipe or other idea for watering slanted ivy section?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to deal with a problem I'm having. Well two problems actually.

There was a galvanized pipe run with 5-6 sprinkler heads to water the ivy below. The connection was to PVC below which was a problem. It was causing a lot of water collection and it seems there was a crack which then completely broke. Of course there isn't any drainage there but the leak didn't help.

Because of the ivy roots eventually pressed on the pipe and hence pressure on the single connection joint, I want to use some sort of flexible pipe into the ground so it can move slightly with pressure. Also, I'd like to run the same pipe horizontally if possible, with the vertical risers secured somehow so they are stable.

Any ideas on a product? Or is there a better solution to water this area?

I found this on Home Depot's site but not sure how thick this pipe is. Is there a good 3/4 inch flexible pipe product? I know they make good pipe of spa-type solutions but not sure what to buy or where.

Also, what would you use to secure the vertical riser part (like 2 feet)? I was thinking of just hammering in rebar or metal rods and then using wire ties to secure them?

Name:  Ivy Run.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  36.6 KB

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-13, 08:09 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 44,400
I see your picture but I don't see any type of watering system. I can't quite visualize what you would like to do.

I'm thinking you want to run a pipe along the ground, in the ivy, and every so many feet come up with a stub of pipe with a sprinkler head.

If that was my garden and I needed to water that ivy...... I'd use a soaker hose. It looks like a regular black garden hose but the water oozes out of it in a controlled manor.
Old 07-09-13, 09:50 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 59
Yeah what you said is what we had in place.

I just was hoping there was relatively available flex hosing but none of the places I went to had anything.

It's a *!&@# getting pipe into those old roots and I don't want it just laying on top of the ivy. We could cut it down but this has been so many years you'd need a machine.

And it's on an incline so...yeah not easy.

I'll just get some schedule 80 so it doesn't stick out like the white pipe (yeah, costs more) and just put 5-7 risers out of there and be done with it.

I'll probably use one of those 6-inch pre-fabbed flex hosing off the T to each side from the ground just so as the roots grow, it has some room to move and not crack again like it did, or basically break off.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes