Any non-composting fruit disposal suggestions?

Old 07-16-13, 12:11 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any non-composting fruit disposal suggestions?

I'm in SE Michigan with a yard of about 1/3 acre with 5 fruit trees, 1 pear, 2 peach,1 cherry and 1 huge crabapple. This year, all these are producing unusually large amounts of fruit.

The cherry tree is ancient and doesn't produce much, and the pear tree is small, but the crabapple and peach trees are growing hundreds, maybe thousands of pounds of fruit this year! I'm going to try to prune back the peach trees this winter and hopefully reduce the production in the future, but for this year I've still got a massive fruit disposal issue.

I have no use for the fruit. I would not think it is really fit for human consumption, but I don't know. In the past, I've normally just left the fruit lay on the ground and rot, but the output this year is far more than in years past.

The only disposal solutions I've found by Googling involve composting, and I have no use for any compost. Plus I don't have any other cuttings to mix in the compost, and it seems like creating a single huge pile of rotting fruit wouldn't be any better than just letting it rot where it falls. Little or no grass grows under these trees.

Of course, I'm looking for a solution that won't cost anything other than my own labor, and I fully realize that I may be asking for too much, I'm really just grasping at straws here.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 07-16-13, 01:03 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
They are pretty when they are in bloom, but oh what a mess. The thought that is crossing my mind is, would someone who raises pigs be interested? I know a couple around me and wow some of the stuff they feed to those pigs would make rotting fruit look like a gourmet treat. Next in line would be to contact a farmer who already has a huge compost pile going. The variety might have an advantage for him.

Good luck. By the way, I make a great crab apple jelly, but that doesn't require very many.

Bud

Old 07-16-13, 01:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
See if there are any creative craft breweries in your area. They'll try throwing anything in the fermenter.

Old 07-16-13, 02:00 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great idea! A light bulb just went on in my head - I don't know any farmers, but a listing under the 'Free' listings on craigslist may be just what I want here. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 07-16-13, 02:21 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
To find the pigs out there check with the Hostess, pastry, bread folks. Once the stuff goes past its date they pull it off the shelves and the pigs eat it wrapper and all. They might be kind and give you some names.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: