Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

What size skid steer for moving dirt, removing patio, and digging up stump

What size skid steer for moving dirt, removing patio, and digging up stump

Old 07-20-13, 08:40 AM
Question What size skid steer for moving dirt, removing patio, and digging up stump

I am thinking of renting a skid steer to do some landscaping. the main thing I want to do is excavation. I also have a couple of stumps I would like to remove. They are from 12"diam. and 14"diam. maple trees that I cut down. I am currently digging out one by hand, but I'm starting to think some power equipment would be nice for the task. I'm also thinking about using the skid steer to remove a concrete patio. I rented a medium size jack hammer, but the concrete is too thick in places. Will a skid steer do these things and what size is recommended. I would like the smallest size possible as long as it can do what I have described. The rental place had 4 sizes: 10-19hp, 36-45hp, 46-55hp, and 56-65hp.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-13, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm guessing that those trees were silver maples. They have roots halfway to China. I would look at renting a stump grinder to get rid of them. While horsepower has some relation to lifting, you should talk to the rental people about the capacity of the various models, explain what you want to do.
Patio is probably 4" - 6" thick by whatever size you are trying to move.

I would be looking at a bobcat type machine. You can get it with a "jackhammer" accessory, skids, bucket, etc. from a large equipment rental operation.

Old 07-20-13, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, the rental place will know which of their equipment will work best for the job you need to do. IMO the only good way to get a stump out of the ground is to push the tree over [using the height for leverage] When there is only a stump - stump grinder works better.

Old 07-20-13, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
You did not give much detail what you mean by "excavating". Often my first go to tool is a track hoe which works very well at removing stumps and digging holes and trenches. It's high bucket breakout force is also good for removing patios and concrete. However track hoes are not great for grading larger areas or carrying materials like a skid steer.

You also did not say how large an area you would be working or what you have to transport the skid steer. There is a huge difference in physical size and weight from a 20 hp to a 60 hp machine. Sometimes bigger is better and brute force really helps when removing stump or ripping up concrete but you also need to get a machine sized for your site. A big machine can be more an annoyance if it doesn't have room to move or if it's weight is crushing utilities and doing more damage than good.

Old 07-20-13, 12:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with all....you will eventually need both. A track hoe for the concrete break up, stump digging and general trenching, since it lifts much higher and with different forces.

The skid steer will be invaluable for setting grade, leveling, etc. It just comes with the territory, sorry.