firepit ring over pavers

Old 07-24-13, 06:32 PM
firepit ring over pavers

Hello. I'm looking at a small combo firepit ring/grill like this one...Outdoor Furniture & Equipment | Grills & Fire Rings | Flip Grate Fire Ring, 31-3/4" Dia. x 9-3/8" H | 250881 - GlobalIndustrial.com

What type of a liner could I place on the floor above the pavers, to keep the pavers from baking and breaking apart? It must be something liteweight. Outta the question to lay gravel down inside the ring. Any suggestions?
Possibly an insulating firebrick? Insulating fire bricks soft and lightweight are NOT hard heavy firebricks.

Last edited by drmax; 07-24-13 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-13, 07:15 PM
If you set your fire ring on top of the pavers every time it rains you will have ash & soot flow out. You will need to remove pavers & set the ring inside, surrounded by blocks or bricks if you like (helps to set the ring any height). Gravel at the bottom will allow drainage into the earth below the pavers so water doesn't wash out the base underneath. In fact I would suggest you excavate to a few inches below the base in the ring as added insurance against wash-out.

I like that type of ring for looks & function but it's really not much of a shortcut to use one.

Old 07-24-13, 07:44 PM
When my patio was built the fire ring was the first thing done and the pavers are fit around it. I looked at the ring you linked but it wasn't available in the size I wanted so I lined my pit with copper sheet to reflect heat away from the blocks and keep ash from washing out through the cracks.

Attached Images  
Old 07-24-13, 08:31 PM
final thought

My firepit idea was a 2nd thought. My 1st (and will go with it) is just a small, low profile 24" diameter stone grill with a top.(the top I found is an alum. wok lid) Will use a 16 gallon galvonized bucket within to collect the coal ash. If any rain get's in, it will just flow though and out the bottom and am not worried. The pit can always be installed at a later date. The stone I'm using to encircle the bucket is flagstone. It will not be permanently mounted to the top of my deck pavers, so it can always be removed (hammer and chisel glue joints) Here is a pic of my "almost" completed area....

Attached Images