Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Need help with lawn, NJ, diff weeds and seeding help, {pics}

Old 08-25-13, 08:00 AM

Hey so I live in Central/northern NJ, we used to use scotts for many years, but this year rents decided to give job the landscapers. Grass turned out pretty bad in our opinoin. I watched him apply it and it seemed all fine but still didnt turn out well. Here are some pics of the weeds that I could not identify and dont know how to treat that showed up in random spots in yard. I used drive xlr8(6 days ago) for all the crabgraass which seems to be working(slowly), and also the weeds that I cant identify which doesnt seem to be helping.
So my questions are what are these weeds and what do I do about them at this point in late august?
Also I went to the John Deere store like you guys suggested, and piked up Some turf builder, and Athletic plus seed. Should I first put the turf builder then the seed or the other way?
thanks
Here are the pics:
Name:  photo(24).jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  50.7 KBName:  photo(22).jpg
Views: 2622
Size:  52.1 KBName:  photo(21).jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  53.0 KBName:  photo(19).jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  49.8 KBName:  photo(16).jpg
Views: 984
Size:  52.7 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-13, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
I would say your done for this year... Put down the seed and fert IMO. You can apply same time...

Your weeds are common here in NJ. Creeping charlie in your first pics take over this time of year...If you want to wait 5 weeks to seed this stuff should take care of everything... Attaches to hose...

Ortho Weed B Gon MAX Plus Crabgrass Control Ready-Spray

Next year use the pre emergent stuff. Thats put down twice to take you longer into the season. The other key is to use the weed and feed and commonly that put down twice for extended weed control...

The problem with these products is over fertilization. You need to find products like I linked to that have no fertilizer and treat in between.......

Old 08-25-13, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
I am not a fan of Turf Builder. The application of fertilizer and herbicide are often best applied at different times or just herbicide and no fertilizer so using a wonder all in one bag product can often be a compromise. Like Lawrosa mentioned I would seed and fertilize this fall. No Turf Builder and no herbicide which is best applied in the spring. A pre-emergent crabgrass and weed preventer would be good early in the spring before things start growing then once things to start growing I'd fertilize.

If seeding you have to be careful with herbicides. Some can prevent your seed from germinating or should only be applied after your new grass has been established for a period of time. The product label will tell you what should and should not be done.

Old 08-26-13, 07:19 PM
Hey appreciate both the replies, yea finished applying the drive xlr8 worked well on the crabgrass thats about it. So just to make sure this is creeping charlie:Name:  crpcharlie.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  49.8 KB?

I looked it up and it seems like the last pick with the clover looking weeds that form in patches were the creeping charlie.

In the pic above in this post I was not sure what it was. Also how to get rid of it. At this point I might just overseed. But should I remove all these bad weeds out before or does it not matter.

Old 08-26-13, 07:24 PM
also what is the advantage to overseeeding/ seeding now meaning in September compared to spring? I was going to anyway but was just wondering? One better to help reduce the weeds for next year? Also after this and the turf fertilizer, my next application would be in the winter right ?

Old 08-27-13, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Seeding in fall lets the grass get started during mild weather and attain a survivable size before winter. Then come spring it has a jump on things and is ready to go versus seed which will not even germinate until soil temperatures get above 50f. Why is one better than the other... basically one has a 6 month head start. Generally though I think seeding in fall is best since it gives the grass more time to establish before the heat of summer which is usually the most difficult time for grass.

Old 08-27-13, 07:28 PM
aye, thanks yea will seed in 3 weeks.

So main questions are:
with the athletic plus seed, should I pull out the different types of weeds scattered about (crabgrass, creeping charlie) before I put the seed down?

And if i'm having a area or patch that is stubborn and not growing because of a mason er working on the chimney that messed up small section of the grass. What should I do? Rent a tiller from homedepot? get some topsoil and put it on top?

Should I put topsoil on all the portions of where I am seeding?

thanks
V.V.