Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Does hose diameter matter as far as better/worse pressure when using a sprinkler

Does hose diameter matter as far as better/worse pressure when using a sprinkler

Old 08-29-13, 11:41 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I need to purchase a couple of new hoses to go with some new sprinklers that I'm buying (just portable sprinklers, not a sprinkler system of any kind) and I'm wondering if hose diameter matters.

In other words, does a 3/4" hose allow more water to flow and therefore better pressure than a 1/2" hose?

Or is any difference negligible?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-13, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Th 3/4" hose will allow more water flow. If you have a high flow (large area) coverage sprinkler then the 3/4" would be better but for most practical watering applications.... use a 5/8" hose.

Old 08-29-13, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Depending on the supply lines and pressure, yes a larger hose will flow more. I doubt I'd go up to a 3/4" though, that's what contractors use. If you can even find them, they are pretty expensive. Better to buy a high quality non-kinking 5/8". I have one that has a sort of triangular profile and it doesn't kink but is still plenty flexible. I bought it for about $35 after moving here 6 yrs ago and it still works great, no splits of failures. Look for the number of plys. The more the better til it gets too heavy and hard to coil.

Old 08-29-13, 11:53 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, high flow/large area sprinkler?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: