stream bank

Old 09-26-13, 12:19 PM
stream bank

I have a small stream that runs along the one side of my yard. In the past several years the stream has begun to erode the bank to where some places are much wider than they used to be. At several spots I have dug away the bank to a 45 degree angle and would like to plant a good, tough grass there instead of what was there. The stream runs very docile most of the time but whenever we have a strong thunderstorm with heavy rains the stream runs rampant and even overflows at spots. I am looking for ideas to strengthen the banks so the soil won't erode anymore. At some places I have used huge rocks and that works but at the other places I would like to keep some sort of grass. I was thinking of seeded landscapers cloth but I'm not sure if that would work. Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My youngest son has a creek in his backyard and experiences the same issues We've fortified the yard side of the creek with rock [still have more to go] If the creek gets up [and fast] grass won't help, it will sweep it away

You aren't supposed to alter a creek bed any so it's best to do the work on the QT. There is a man on the other side of the mountain that has lost 30' of his back yard to river floods. They won't allow him to shore up the creek bed and WILL condemn his house once the river gets into his septic system. Apparently the backyard is the only place he has for a septic system.

Old 09-26-13, 03:09 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I wasn't sure if grass or other plant would do it but I had to hear from someone who has gone through it. I think I will concentrate on rocks to try to stop too much erosion.

Rich