Changing lawn cart tires

Old 11-11-13, 11:58 AM
Changing lawn cart tires

I have a Rubbermaid lawn cart with 20x2.25 pneumatic tires. I tried and tried to get the old tires off, and after many busted up knuckles and spewing words I can't repeat on here, I eventually ended up cutting the steel wire beads to get them off. Now I have to mount the new tires, but with those wire beads, I can't get the tires back on the rims. Anybody ever do this job, and if so how is it done ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-13, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
I use a pair of tire spoons. I have plastic ones for aluminum bicycle rims and a steel set for steel rims. There is still some wrestling but they do make it easier. In a pinch you could try the broad end of a pry bar or some large flat blade screw drivers. You can also search for videos that show you how to mount and dismount tires without a machine.

Old 11-11-13, 12:53 PM
Yeh, I tried screw drivers , a flat brake adjusting tool, etc. The problem is the rims are flat across so there's no free space in there.

Old 11-11-13, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Using soap for a lubricant will help a little.

Old 11-12-13, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys! I was wondering if there was some special trick to mount the tires, but I guess it's just "brute force".

Old 11-12-13, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure on yours but some times one of the inner lips are smaller than other, Mount from that side.

Old 11-12-13, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, a certain amount of brute force and cursing is usually required. Sometimes small tires can be a real bugger. They are so small you can't get a good grip on them so if one is really giving me trouble I bolt it down to a big scrap of wood. When the rim isn't squirming to get away and you can have both hands free to work the spoons & tire.