Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

water is coming out of sprinklers even with valve off and water pipe off!

Old 12-10-13, 07:36 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my front sprinklers has 3 sprinkler valves mines model 711 DPR: 711 DPR Valve Parts

We noticed one of the sprinkler zones was leaking water... its an underground sprinkler but from the sound it seemed like the water was coming out as if the sprinkler was turned on atleast 80% of the way on.
I also heard water flowing through the sprinkler valve. I tighten the bleed screw and solenoid... does not do anything. There is a slight leak of water coming out of valve I cant figure out where but its not spraying out as much as if the bleed nut was loosened.
I search my house for valves to just shut the whole sprinkler system off. I spot 2 underground boxes, each with a pair of valves inside... I guess one was a safety valve incase the first broke. The one in the back did nothing from what I saw but it may have shut off back yard water sources... didnt check. The one in the front turned off all the water in both the inside and outside of the house. The sprinklers were off EXCEPT for the one that was leaking! Only thing that worked was going to the curb and shutting it off there.
Right now my #1 priority is just getting that sprinkler valve to shut off I will worry about whats causing the leak later.
Any ideas of what I can do to shut this valve off?
thanks
not sure if it helps but last night was coldest night of the year... puddles of water turned to ice on the cement. So something may have froze up in the pipes/valves.

Old 12-10-13, 07:46 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard to suggest how to fix what we can not see.
A picture of that valve box might help.

Old 12-10-13, 08:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,626 Likes on 1,460 Posts
Joe: Notice that the poster did provide the name and model of their valve and a link to the assembly.
--------

I don't know that brand valve specifically but most are a solenoid type where the water pressure is used for most of the work of opening and closing the valve. The solenoid just opens a tiny valve to actuate the valve. It's a pretty reliable setup but it is susceptible to debris in the water and there is a rubber diaphragm (part #6 in the diagram) inside the valve that eventually wears out.

First I make sure that the solenoid is screwed all the way into the valve housing. Manually turning a valve on is often done by unscrewing the solenoid and it does not have to be loose by much to turn the valve on.

Next you can try cleaning the valve. Get a bucket of clean water. Turn off the water main to the sprinkler system. Remove the top of the problem valve. Remove the diaphragm and wash it off, gently wiping your fingers off both sides to remove any slime or pieces of grit stuck to it. Rinse out both the upper and lower valve housing. Re-assemble and see if that took care of the problem.

Since you have so much flow in the off position I suspect you need a new diaphragm. If you find opening the valve up for repair annoying then I'd go right for a diaphragm replacement and while you're doing that clean out the inside of the valve assembly.

Old 12-10-13, 08:24 AM
B
here are some pics... the valve to the left is the one to the leaking zone

Attached Images     
Old 12-10-13, 08:56 AM
B
thanks removed the cover off the valve, do not see anything amiss. There is a pool of water inside the valve... is this normal?

Attached Images    
Old 12-10-13, 11:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,626 Likes on 1,460 Posts
Yes, the inside of the valve should be full of water.

When you buy a diaphragm I would get two. They are inexpensive and there is a good chance you'll need it eventually for another valve as they are the main moving part and have a limited life span.

I bought an entire valve assembly (less than $20) to keep as a spare. That way I have anything I might need; solenoid, diaphragm, gasket, screws, housing, lid...

Old 12-10-13, 06:07 PM
B
I had to run off to work, father in law came by and changed the whole valve with one at Home Depot for $8 and it stopped the leak. Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: