Irrigation not stopping

Old 02-03-14, 12:09 PM
Irrigation not stopping

I have an irrigation system from Home Depot with 3 zones. We remodeled the yard and one zone was shut down. Several new plants were added to zone 2 with 2 gallon/hour drippers. Now this zone will not stop once it starts (automatically or manually). I replaced the solenoid valve and it still won't stop once activated. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-14, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Hello and welcome.............

You know we just got a ft of snow here in NJ and irrigation is the last thing on my mind....

But anyway, I would say you need to rebuild the diaphragm inside. While its apart check for scores in the body... Sometimes its cheaper just to change the whole body and be done with it...

Old 02-03-14, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
You say it won't stop once activated. Does that mean that there are times when it is off or not flowing water?

Old 02-03-14, 01:45 PM
Lawrosa, I already did change the entire solenoid valve.
Pilot Dane. If I close the irrigation shut off valve the water flow stops. When I re-open the shut off valve, there is no flow until it starts automatically by the timer or I do it manually at the timer. Then when the stop time is reached, the flow will not stop.

Old 02-03-14, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
The solenoid and diaphragm and solenoid are two separate items. The solenoid is the electrical part that is probably sticking out the top of your valve and has wires going to it. The diaphragm is a a rubber part that can only be accessed by disassembling the valve body. Sediment or a crack, tear or pinhole in the diaphragm can prevent the valve from closing.

Old 02-03-14, 02:59 PM
Yes, but I changed the entire solenoid valve assembly, which included the diaphragm. This did not fix my problem. Before I changed solenoid valve, I could stop the water flow by opening then closing the vent valve on the solenoid valve after the timer had removed power from the solenoid. Is it possible that adding the extra plants to the affected zone increased the water flow and when power is removed from the solenoid, the increased flow prevents the valve from closing? I may be grasping at straws.

Old 02-03-14, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Why don't you tell us what valve you have. That might help figure it out. I'm trying to figure out what irrigation valve has a vent valve?

Old 02-03-14, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
I'm trying to figure out what irrigation valve has a vent valve?
Orbits from the home store... I have these so I know...

Shop Orbit 1-in Plastic Electric Inline Irrigation Valve at Lowes.com

Old 02-04-14, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Ah! The same type valves I have. Changing the diaphragm has always taken care of any issues with them not turning off. Have you checked your controller and wiring? Put a volt meter on the contacts for to the valve's solenoid and see when the controller is sending power to it. Maybe you have a bad controller. Power should only be going to the solenoid when that zone is on.

I don't know what brand you have but I have run into a couple Orbit controllers that went bad or were damaged by lightening or voltage spike. I don't know if it's anything specific with that brand or if it's just because that's what the home center in my town sells and the odds of numbers.

Old 02-05-14, 10:54 AM
Thank you. I will try that. Really don't think that is the problem though because each of the zones come on at the set time. Only this zone doesn't stop, except it does stop when I open the solenoid valve vent. This shows the voltage is not still applied to the solenoid valve or it wouldn't stop at that time. It sure seemed to be the solenoid valve sticking, but I replaced the entire solenoid valve and the problem didn't stop. That is why I was questioning if there were too many drippers on that zone or something like that. I am lost on ideas.

Old 02-05-14, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
If you can tell us the valves you have possibly we can further assist you....

Old 02-05-14, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Yea, knowing what valve you have may help. I've also gotta ask are you certain that the valve is installed in the correct flow orientation (water goes in the correct side). Normally unscrewing the solenoid or vent screw will turn the vent on and your condition is opposite.