Back yard under water, how do I solve this?

Old 02-26-14, 02:36 AM
Back yard under water, how do I solve this?

With the quick thaw of last week, the back acre of yard at our just purchased house was under up to a foot of water. Our property is beside a small rural creek, and we have an elevated pond in the front of our property. The pond drains to a ditch that is even with the yard. Also, the highest portion of our back yard is just slightly higher than the creek bank. We also had a sewage gas backup, due to the extreme water in the yard. The creek flows under another bridge about 3 miles from our property and was not even out of its banks, so I believe our back yard is one of the low points along the creeks path. I was thinking of regrading the back yard, so that it all slopes towards the flow of the creek at 3% slope. I know this will be alot of money and work, but other than this problem, the property is worth it. Does this sound like a good idea, or are there other ideas out there that are better?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 02:58 AM
You will have to make absolutely certain that your regrading does not cause water problems for anyone else or you will be in a world of hurt, legally speaking. You also need to make certain that you have all the required permits (or that none are required) BEFORE starting the work. Permits could be required from your county, state or even the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Old 02-26-14, 03:28 AM
Let me ask a question. Did you experience damage due to the flooding? If not then better not to do anything. Furd is correct that you may not be allowed to alter the flood plane. It's not like its a constant problem.

Old 02-26-14, 03:48 AM
Besides the sewer gas back up and a small amount of water in the basement bathroom there was no damage this time. However, we found out from the neighbors that basement flooding is a serious problem on the property. Up to 2.5 feet of water has been in there. Thanks for the great advice on the permits! I will check into that. I want to try to solve it, or at the least see what I can do before we have major damage.

Old 02-26-14, 04:40 AM
It may be that stopping the water from entering the basement may be an easier fix. Does the water come in under a doorway or up through a floor drain or is it just a general flooding through the concrete floor?

Old 02-26-14, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Building a retaining wall and backfilling it near the house [staying away from the creek] might also be an option. Depending on where you live the EPA can be problematic when changing the grade near water.

Old 02-26-14, 05:43 AM
The water usually comes into the basement through the floor drains. I was not really planning on taking the slope to the creek. It is around 30 feet off of our property. I am just most worried about keeping it away from the house. We have a low spot near.

Old 02-26-14, 05:49 AM
Also, I am not worried about keeping all water out of the yard. I understand flooding happens and water needs somewhere to go. I just want it away from the house and sewage system.

Old 02-26-14, 05:53 AM
Floor drains and sewage pipes can be fitted with "back-water valves" to reduce the problems of water running backwards in them.