Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Crab Grass / Pre-Emergence vs. Over-Seeding in Spring

Old 03-16-14, 03:21 PM

I live in North New Jersey and most of my lawn is clay/soil with little soil depth (~3-4") so I use fertilizer nearly every 6 weeks to compensate. I had quite a bit of crab grass in August/September with mild amount of weeds that I would like to combat with some pre-emergence/crab grass killer in Mid March. However, I was hoping to overseed as well. Should I overseed first or use the pre-emergence? How long do I need between both applications? I keep getting conflicting information.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-14, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Pre-emergent with fertilizer in the spring, overseed in the fall (best time for cool season grasses).

Old 03-16-14, 06:05 PM
I am aware that fall is the best time but spring can be done as well. Why don't some do both in the spring by waiting a few weeks between applications?

Old 03-16-14, 06:58 PM
PRE-emergent! IT KILLS GERMINATING SEEDS!

Most have a 10 to 12 week effective time before leaching away. Depends on rainfall.
That is why if pre-emergent is used then over-seeding waits until fall.

RR

Old 03-17-14, 09:02 AM
And, I have read/heard from others that you can use pre-emergent and then overseed as long as you wait 2 weeks between applications. Here lies the confusion...

I still have snow on the ground but I was hoping to either overseed or pre-emergent right now. I am not sure which should occur first (if I am able to do both in the spring) or when I should be doing it.