Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Looking for Ideas/Suggestions on how to tackle my backyard!

Old 03-19-14, 06:21 PM

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a foreclosed home that has been vacant for 2+ years. In those two years, the backyard was not taken care of besides the yard being cut occasionally. Anyways, as you can see from the pictures I have attached, there used to be a pool, that is sand where the circle is. They also have brick pavers for a patio/walk way to the garage. Unfortunately, there is no access to the garage for a vehicle due to the fenced in yard. I figure they must have used the garage for a pool house rather than storage. Anyways, the weather is about to break and I'd like to tackle this ASAP but am looking for some suggestions. I am open to any ideas, should I remove the pavers? Do I need to put more dirt in the yard?...Tell me what you would do if this was your yard/project. I am OK with putting a lot of time and work into this, I just don't have the best "imagination" to where I can take this yard.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 07:15 AM
It's hard to tell how deep the indent is from the pool, but I'm guessing you will need to add soil in order to even out the yard. Removing the pavers is just a matter of personal preference -- if you think you would like to use that area as an extension of the deck for a gathering area, you could just remove the weeds and other debris from the pavers. If you go this route, I would recommend doing a little container gardening on the patio/paver area. When doing projects like this, I always like to use a space planner like this: http://suncast.icovia.com/icovia.aspx Just be sure to select what sort of symbols you want to use in the planner (landscape, garden, gazebo, etc.).

If this were my yard, I would probably keep the pavers directly in front of the deck so it connects the fire pit and creates a little social gathering area. I'd remove the rest of the pavers and plant grass. I really like gardening, so I would probably work a vege garden into the plan as well.