Frost heaving near fence

Old 03-23-14, 07:29 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Frost heaving near fence

Every spring I need to address this problem of heaving soil around the fence. Mainly on the east side. I had a new fence put up last year and asked the installer to leave at least a 2x4 width clearance from the ground surface to the bottom of the fence in an effort to minimize the ground heaving and easier trimming. But to no avail. Itís just as bad as in previous years with my old fence that was practically sitting on the ground. This only happens at the fence and nowhere else. I mean the ground raises close to 2 to 4 inches actually covering the bottom of the fence. Of course I still have the usual overall surface heaving that I will roll when the ground soften enough. But this area around the fence seems extreme. Only the morning sun beats down on the one side and the other side never sees the sunís rays. Does anybody know of a way to reduce this annoying phenomenon? Maybe I won't need to worry about it since this is the third day of spring and outside my window is a mini snow storm.

Old 03-23-14, 08:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Lived half my life in WNY and never experienced Frost Heave until I moved to Vermont. You have to be careful driving in the winter time as you can damage your vehicle. Here is a link to an interesting article discussing frost heave. Basically, you have to get rid of ground water or the high water table in that area. May be that some additional drainage is needed.

http://www.concreteconstruction.net/...m45-341398.pdf

Old 03-23-14, 09:58 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Exactly the problem. The whole neighborhood is like that. Most all of the front yards are well graded and dry while the backyards and side yards (as in my corner lot is) are poorly graded and always wet.

Great article by the way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: