Irritrol KD9 sprinkler controller not working

Old 03-28-14, 05:14 PM
Irritrol KD9 Kwikdial sprinkler controller not working

When I turn dial to manual stations and hit the +button I get nothing. Unit has power and dial moves show correct data on display, but it's not turning on water to any zone. It's also not keeping the correct time/day after I set it. Any ideas? Forgot, we had a power outage a week ago for 2 hrs., so that may have something to do with it.

Last edited by igneous; 03-28-14 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-14, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
If the unit is not keeping time it is possible that the controller is bad. Have you checked the controllers outputs with a volt meter to see if it's sending power to the zones?

Old 03-29-14, 01:44 PM
No, all I checked was the 24v ac coming in from plug. I'll check that, thanks!

Old 03-29-14, 01:52 PM
Getting around 1.75v on the zones wires. When I go to manual stations or test it will act like it normally does but in about 10 seconds it has 3 dashes going across were the time displays. I also jumpered the reset but it didn't help.
The controller is in the garage, and the outlet it's plugged into is about 6' from the fuse panel.
I'm thinking the power outage last weekend may have zapped it. Any way to check that on the board?

Last edited by igneous; 03-29-14 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Any way to check what..... if it got zapped ?

If you are supplying it with the correct voltage in but the correct voltage is not coming out..... the board has a problem.

If you want detailed troubleshooting help..... I can provide that but you will need a VOM (test meter) and know how to use it as well as a camera to take pictures of the front and back of the board.

Old 03-30-14, 10:36 AM
I can do that. I'll pull covers off and get access to board and get pics w/meter, soo let me know what to check. Thanks

Old 03-30-14, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
The pics need to be large so that I can expand them to see them. Putting them at a place like photobucket works really well and is free. The board will only allow small pics here that can't be expanded.

Old 03-30-14, 02:04 PM
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...73867a1ea2.jpg

Here is pic. Let me know if I need to send directly to you via email or something else.

Old 03-31-14, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
Nice boat!

Are there any components on the back side of the board?

Most of the components on the board are surface mount (SMT). Unless you have the pretty specialized tools to work on it testing components and repair will be difficult. I looked over the picture briefly and could not spot anything obviously blown or cooked.

Old 03-31-14, 07:03 AM
Thanks, actually sold jet boat last yr.

I'll get a pic of back when I get home, but it has no components--just solder joints. I looked it over good and didn't see any obvious spots either.
So how do I go about checking it?
I assume I need to plug it back up to transformer to run any tests.

Old 03-31-14, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Unless you want a project I'd be shopping for a new controller. Hook it back up once again just to be 100% certain it's dead.

Many of the components need to be removed from the circuit to test. Without an obviously blown component it will be a bug hunt at best. You can test discrete components (resistors, capacitors, triac/SCR...) if you have the tools but if it's something in the IC you probably have no way of testing it.

If you want to dig into it a bit I would look closely where the power connects and follow those traces. If you don't see anything suspicious you could pull off some of the first components that would get power to see if they blew, hopefully protecting everything else downstream. It's a long shot but if you're bored and want something to do...

Old 03-31-14, 10:11 AM
Already have another one ordered and will be here this week.
Sometimes on boards you can't tell when components go out...figures. I'll hook it back up today and retest.
I read in the manual that this unit does not require a master valve, because I thought that may be the issue. No master was wired, so no way that 9 valve solenoids all go south at the same time. Next little project is finding the remaining
3 valves. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-31-14, 01:25 PM
Guess I need to go and try to test one of the valves....havent' done that yet. Any way electrical outage could have screwed up all the valves too?

Old 03-31-14, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
You can connect your 24vac transformer right to the valves. Connect one lead to your common and the other to the zone you want to test.

The valves are pretty robust electrically..... they should be ok.