Enclosed herb garden?

Old 04-03-14, 07:36 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Enclosed herb garden?

Hello all,

I was thinking that for summer I'd like to start a small outdoor herb garden. Nothing crazy, just a few herbs I use the most, but also something aesthetically pleasing, like a shelf to hang outside over my patio as opposed to keeping it indoors. However, where I live has a lot of deer/squirrels/etc that eat everything indiscriminately. Does anyone have any ideas for an herb garden that could be put outside that might be covered in some way? Or any clever ways to cover it?

I'm worried about sunlight and them getting air and water, of course, and giving them room to grow. I'm also open to whatever material is reasonable to use, whether wood, metal, or something I'm not thinking of. If there's a product out there, great. If I need to get creative with a product of different intentions, also fine. If I need to make it myself, I'd appreciate any words of wisdom.

Thanks very much

Old 04-03-14, 10:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I live in the country so I know the trouble that animals can cause. Surprisingly we have very little trouble with herbs and don't bother to fence them. I suppose in an urban environment deer might not have another option and eat herbs but I'd give it a try without an enclosure.

You can use hardware cloth (heavy duty screen) and make a cover for whatever shape your garden. It can be cut to shape with tin snips or dike/wire cutter and bent to shape. You can tie separate pieces together with wire or string.

Old 04-03-14, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I live in the city, but with ground and squirrels and deer, like you. I'm not sure about others, but nothing has ever eaten any of the herbs I've planted, not even parsley. So, personally, I wouldn't worry about it and don't think you need any kind of cover.

Old 04-03-14, 11:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Here is what we generally have in the non-fenced herb garden; rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, chives, sage, parsley, savory and cilantro. If we have a severe drought any plant that we water will get eaten.

Old 04-03-14, 01:01 PM
Y
Ah, great! I've had a lot of planted, well, anything get devoured by deer (Long Island, to be more specific to location) but if you all haven't experienced many problems that's great. Though the hardware cloth is a great idea. Thanks all!

Old 04-29-14, 01:33 PM
B
Chicken wire would also keep deer out without blocking air/light, and I've seen some screen at box-stores that's sold as specifically for protecting from deer (this is in west L.A. where the nearest deer is probably 50-75 miles away...).

You might also try planting some hot peppers alongside the herbs, which should discourage any mammals that'd eat all of a patch from coming back around after one pass. Or else there's always the option of getting a large dog.

Old 04-29-14, 05:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
I've tried interplanting peppers with other plants. No good. An animal that lives in the wild is very adept at picking and choosing what it eats. While it's true many mammals won't eat a cayenne pepper having one nearby does not seem to impart much protection to other plants in the area especially if it's a drought season.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: