None of my sprinkler zones are working

Old 05-21-14, 03:07 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
None of my sprinkler zones are working

So, I have plenty of pressure in my main irrigation supply line. I don't show any signs of leaks (no puddling of water in the lawn and the meter at the street doesn't run when irrigation is off. But, when I run my irrigation, none of the sprinkler heads pop up in any of the zones, although ALL do try. I do have three zones with mini paw sprinkler heads, even though they run, they do not have much force - and some don't run at all. Water just spews from around them. ALL of the zones are effected (I have 7 zones). I've had this system for 15 years without a problem. And it was designed so that I could run water in the house at the same time the irrigation is on. But now, when I test run the irrigation, I can run the house water and hardly any water comes out. Please note that my water pressure in the house remains normal unless irrigation is on (due to the current problem). Also, heads do try to pop up, but it "looks" as if there isn't enough pressure to get them fully engaged. However, when I open the end drain spigot of the irrigation supply line, there seems to be plenty of flow/pressure, although I haven't tested it with a pressure gage yet. The irrigation designer who is a pro can't figure it out. Neither can my plumber. Please help!

Old 05-21-14, 04:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would guess you no longer have the water supply you did years ago. Either the main water pressure has decreased or your meter or pressure reducing valve is reducing the flow.

Old 05-21-14, 08:23 PM
N
The City checked the pressure on their end at my meter a few days ago. It is the same. My irrigation water supply begins before the pressure reducing valve.

Old 05-21-14, 08:26 PM
N
Hmmm. But the city did replace my old meter a month before the problem. I wonder if a meter can actually restrict flow? I will make a few calls about this tomorrow to the City and to my plumber.

Old 05-21-14, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
there seems to be plenty of flow/pressure, although I haven't tested it with a pressure gage yet.
That certainly would be your next logical step.

Old 05-22-14, 02:30 PM
N
After checking again with my people, I think we have decided that the problem could be with the new meter that the city put at the street. Even though it is the same size as the old meter (3/4 in), it could have something the limits the flow. And flow is just as important as pressure, I'm finding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: