Sprinkler, Pumps and Pump relay

Old 04-08-14, 10:28 PM
Sprinkler, Pumps and Pump relay

While working on my pump that I assumed was hooked up to the sprinkler system, I came across the notion of a pump start relay. From what I understand, it automatically turns the pump on, if needed, when the sprinkler is running. The pump is a two line jet pump.

#1 Why is a pump start relay necessary? If the pump is plumbed to the sprinkler, wouldn't it turn on automatically if the pressure goes below cut in, just like when a faucet drawing water from the pump, causes the pressure to go below cut in and the pump (that's always plugged in) to start?

#2 I also noticed that when the sprinkler turns on, it does not seem to be drawing water from the pump, since the pressure in the pump does not go down. What's the best way to tell if the sprinkler is hooked to the pump or not?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-14, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
You need a way to start the pump. You can use a pressure switch that detects when the pressure goes down and starts the pump automatically or you can use a pump start relay that is triggered from the irrigation control.

What's the best way to tell if the sprinkler is hooked to the pump or not?
How about turning the pump off and see if the sprinklers stop ?

Old 04-08-14, 10:53 PM
Scenario A

#1 Pump is plugged in and pressure is 40+ psi. Freshly Primed

#2 I turn on a faucet that is connected to the pump, obviously it is, because as soon as the faucet starts pumping water, pump pressure goes down and the pumps kick in as the pressure gets to cut in i.e 20 psi.

Scenario B

#1 Pump is plugged in and pressure is 40+ psi. Freshly Primed

#2 I turn on the sprinkler for a few minutes (which I "hope" is connected to the pump) and nothing happens to pump pressure. Which makes me question if the sprinkler is connected to the pump drawing water from it or if it is just drawing city water (as it has been) . If it is hooked to the pump, then how to find out for sure? This pump has not been plugged in for 4 years and the sprinklers ran fine. I am not sure, if there is a way that they can run on city water if the pump water is not available and default to pump if there is pump water.

As far as the pump relay is concerned, if I understand your response correctly, it is not necessary if the pump has a pressure switch. Correct?

Thanks

Old 04-09-14, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
Correct...... you need one or the other.

I am not sure, if there is a way that they can run on city water if the pump water is not available and default to pump if there is pump water.
It's only water. It goes to wherever you send it. Yes.... your sprinkler system could run on city water or a pump system depending on a valve change.

It is normally not a good practice to plumb the sprinklers to a pump system and city water. You don't want cross contamination. That could happen if you left the city water connection and the pump connection on at the same time.