Retaining wall on patio

Old 04-09-14, 09:38 AM
Retaining wall on patio

I have a 12'x16' patio I am going to be pouring outside of my walkout basement. On the west side I'm going to build a 2' tall retaining wall with retaining wall blocks. My thought is to use the concrete as the footing/base for the blocks. The concrete is going to be 4" with mesh, is this heavy enough for the blocks? Or should I pour a footing where the blocks are going thicker when pouring the patio?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-14, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll need a footer for the retaining wall but you can incorporate it into the slab [deeper along with rebar at that end]

Old 04-09-14, 10:07 AM
buzz on-

First, is the retaining wall going to be 2' higher than slab or is it to provide support for the 2' of soil under the proposed patio?

You should keep the retaining wall, even it is short, separate from the patio slab IF you are using the common retaining wall block that have a "lip" to prevent horizontal shear. They are intended to be laid on a compacted gravel base.

Just setting some block on a concrete patio allows them to slide and also have no resistance to tipping over.

Dick