Advise please on flagging and lawn turf

Old 04-14-14, 03:51 AM
Cool Advise please on flagging and lawn turf

Hi There,

I have decided to do up the front garden in preparation for the upcoming wedding. 3/4 will be covered in lawn turf and the rest using indian flag stones(will have a curve look).

After consulting couple of the local builder, price quotes were too much so I decided to give it a go due to the lack of capital for the project.

Flag Stones
At the the moment I have large slabs where the indian flag will go. Some people say to do it using just sand and some say to use cement. the other thing is what if I leave the existing slabs and place flags on top?

Please advice how I should do it.

Lawn Turf
At this moment the grass is uneven with pot holes very uneven. So What I want to do is get a turf cutter and make it flat/even. I think you lay good soil followed by turf..is that right? How do you make all stitched together so it;s nice and straight.

Sorry about that long post. Hope you guys help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-14, 05:04 AM
Be it pavers, flagstone or even a cement slab, you need to excavate the ground about 7" deep, lay ground cover cloth, apply chushed stone to allow about 2 to 3 inches from top, level and compact it and then lay sand to about 1 to 2" depending on stone thickness and level it. Then lay down the stone, sprinkle sand between the seems and possibly coat with a protective coating to give a wet look.

The quotes were high becuase laying a stone path or patio is a lot of work and requires at least two people and several days. If you do it yourself you can maybe cut the cost by about half but increase the time by triple the amount. Plus you must contract to have the crushed stone and sand trucked to the site. And doing it yourself any mistakes will be your problem.

I speak from a point of experience. Two years ago I installed a large paverstone patio. It took three people a whole month working evedryday to complete. This winter with the extreme cold and frost I now need to repair many heaved stones.