Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Please help identify a weed, tall, small white flowers, northern NJ

Old 04-26-14, 05:55 PM

Hi,

I reseeded my back yard last summer, and am now getting a lot of a particular type of weed. I used grass seed which was a mix of rye, fescue, and bluegrass, with a relatively low percentage of weeds (based on my research at the time).

This weed consists of a single tall stem with intermittent green leaves. The tip has very small white flowers. The stem is a bit thick, round, and seems somewhat succulent. It is easy to pull out, because the roots do not go deep. But there are likely hundreds of them on my lawn now.

Can anyone name this weed from these photos? I would also appreciate some suggestions on how to treat it (whether a particular chemical, or just mowing before flowering). But I can do further research if I have the name.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-14, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
4 petals? Can't tell. Looks very similar to Spring Cress (mustard family).

Old 04-26-14, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Just went to bed, and had to get back up because it finally came to me- field pennycress.

Dunno why I didn't think of that at first. I'm pretty sure that's what it is... just in it's early stages, I think. Earlier than where I live anyway!

Weed Details

Old 04-26-14, 10:47 PM
Spot on! Thank you very much. Now to check whether my local home improvement store's favorite fertilizer+weed killer can handle this plant.

Old 04-27-14, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
It's an annual, so I think mowing before it goes to seed would work. You really don't want to apply herbicide to new grass if you don't have to... at least until it's VERY well established.

Each plant can produce hundreds of seeds and they are very light, have a surrounding wing, and could have blown in from anywhere- they probably weren't in with your grass seed. Each pod contains about 13 seeds.