Strip Drain vs. French Drain

Old 05-04-14, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strip Drain vs. French Drain

I have an area of my lawn that stays wet sometimes for weeks if we're getting higher than normal rainfall. I know I have to move the water out with a drain if I want the yard to dry. My question is a strip(flat 6" perforated plastic pipe wrapped with fabric) drain as good as a traditional French drain at moving subsurface water? I have a good bit of clay in the soil here in GA also.

Shop NDS 600-in L x 6-in W Pipe Sock at Lowes.com

OR

Shop NDS 4-in x 10-ft Corrugated Drain with Filter Sock Pipe at Lowes.com

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i have the same problem and what i was debating was either doing the perf pipe with the weed blocker wrapping with gravel surrounding or just putting the weed blocker in trench and filling the entire thing with gravel if a French drain is solid pipe i wouldn't do it that way. may even consider putting in some of those plastic storm drain grates in the main areas where you have a lot of water running like in my yard it looks like a creek going thru also aerate your yard use a core aerator it takes out plugs of dirt will help with that and it's good for the grass too. just saw your two choices and i wouldn't do either you just need some of that black corrugated pipe and some of the weed blocker stuff that you use in flower beds and just put that down first then put pipe in and wrap it up with the weed blocker would think it will be much cheaper that way