Rule of thumb for TOO many sprinklers on a zone?

Old 05-06-14, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rule of thumb for TOO many sprinklers on a zone?

Hey all. So Im redoing my backyard to make it more of a tropical jungle esque look. Anyhow Im planning to run some more sprinklers in the back to get full coverage. I want to know if there is some rule of thumb for how many sprinklers can go on a line before it will begin losing pressure? Or if there is a simple way to find this out before hand

Also, is there any kind of 'sprinkler hose' that would sit on the ground like a soaker hose but shoot water in the air a good 6-8 feet (distance only needs to be like 6 ft). I have a 75 ft stretch and plan to leave a 1-1.5ft walkway so I can get back there. Thought I could just have this hose to water the plants. I would want it hooked to my sprinkler line though, and not an actual hose.

I went to Lowes and didnt see anything like this so maybe its a bad idea or maybe it just doesnt exist

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
Yes there are "sprinkler" hoses. I remember them being more popular years ago so you may have to look further than big box stores to find one.

Yes, there are limits to how many emitters you can put on an irrigation circuit. It's determined by your supply. How much water can your supply provide; gpm and pressure? Then you look at the flow rate of your emitters and see if you are under that flow or not.

Old 05-07-14, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. So I know this is going to show how much of a n00b I am but where might I find the flow rate (gpm and pressure)? I know my water line and the 6 main lines all meet at a junction on the side of my house. This is also where my timer is. Would it be printed on something in this area? I dont recall seeing something that stood out in this regard but was never really looking for it.

Thanks

Old 05-07-14, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Need a pressure gauge to check pressure, Can be got a most HD or Lowes, Ace
Fill a gallon bucket with water and time how long to fill. Goolge sprinkler flow charts I just did and a whole page of them came up.