Rotary sprinkler head won't stop leaking

Old 05-16-14, 12:21 PM
Rotary sprinkler head won't stop leaking

Have a 5 zone irrigation system that's been running for about 6 years without a problem. On the fifth zone there's a bunch of Rain Bird 42SA+ rotary sprinklers covering half of the back yard. Some of them are up a small hill of about 15-20 foot elevation from the base yard.

When I fired up the system this year I noticed that the 42SA+ the base of the hill was leaking in one of the zones. I know those heads are supposed to allow the uphill lines to drain out like that, but then I noticed the dripping from the head never stopped, even when that zone was off. While it's only a drop or two every few seconds, it'll do that 24x7 and flood that small area. The only way to make it completely stop was to shut off the main irrigation valve.

So, I replaced the 42SA+ with another one, and it continued to do the same thing. I also tried using a Hunter PGP Ultra rotary sprinkler and it would also continuously leak. The only other thing I could possibly think of was that the automatic sprinkler valve (Rain Bird CP-075) was shot, so I replaced that, and unfortunately, that one head continues to leak any time I open the main irrigation valve.

Anyone have any other thoughts? I'd hate to pay for a service call from an irrigation company when I can probably fix it myself if I can figure out where the problem is.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-14, 01:46 PM
Rotary Sprinkler Head leaking

Try to install a plastic check valve before the sprinkler head. I had the same problem once,and the check valve was the answer. If you can not find a check valve at Home Depot or Lowe's,you would have to check the private irrigation supply stores.
Good Luck!

Old 05-16-14, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response! When you say right before the sprinkler, where exactly? Do you mean inside the sprinkler itself, or right before it on the line?

From what I can remember from digging that head up, there's a pvc/vinyl line cut off with a barbed elbow on the end that the head screws onto. I'll have to double check if there's anything else there.

Edit: Yeah, I just went out and double checked, and it's a 1/2" PVC line with a barbed elbow on the end of it. I'll see about finding a check valve and give that a shot

Last edited by MeatballB; 05-16-14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-16-14, 05:36 PM
You could put the check valve on the PVC pipe before the sprinkler. The check valve has a spring inside that close the water flow when you shut up the system. If still you can not do it, I will make a sketch next time, it is very easy just cut the PVC pipe and insert the check valve. Take a look at this valve, I think Home Depot has them in stock.

1/2" PVC Spring Check Valve - Socket | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Good Luck

Old 05-16-14, 11:23 PM
Excellent, I'll give that a shot. Is there any difference between a 'check valve' and a 'backflow preventer'? I was Lowes earlier this evening and found an Orbit Hose Thread Drip Irrigation Backflow Preventer in the irrigation section. I was going to give it a try because I bet I can just screw it onto the end of the elbow and then screw the sprinkler head onto that.

If that doesn't work, I'll be heading to HD for that one you mentioned. Thanks again for all the help.

One other quick question, any idea why this would suddenly be a problem when the system has been running for 6 years without the check valve and I've never had leak issues out of that head?

Edit: I did a quick check and the Hunter PGP Ultra head I'm currently using does have a built in check valve for up to 10' elevation drainage. I'm wondering if a check valve won't solve my issue, but we'll see in the morning.

Last edited by MeatballB; 05-16-14 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-17-14, 05:21 AM
The backflow preventer function is to drain the water from the feed line to the sprinkler head,to prevent the water from going back to the main water line and contaminate the system. The check valve when the water feed is shut ,closes the line and water can not flow anymore.
The backflow preventer most of the time is built in into the manual irrigation valve,but I do not know if you have a system with a zone timer,or you have manual valves. The electric valves used with the electric system usually close the feed line very tight,because they have a diaphragm,but if you control your individual zones with manual valves,you might have a valve that is not closing well,and it could be leaking.
Hunter sprinkler heads are fine, and they should not leak.
Good Luck

Old 05-17-14, 05:36 AM
They system does have a zone timer and automatic electric valves (Rain Bird CP-075's). After I replaced the first sprinkler head I assumed some water must have been leaking past the zones valve or there wouldn't be the continuous leak, the water has to be coming from somewhere

So I did replace that particular valve as well as trying t manually turn the valve to the off position just to make sure and it was sealing nice and tight, but it still does leaks out of the head as soon as I turn the main irrigation feed line back on.

I'm going to have to go hunting for that check valve, it appears all the Home Depots near me do not carry them according to the website. Lowes has one listed on their website that I think would work, but I'll have to actually drive over there and see if they have them in store.

Hopefully I can get one and get it fixed today. Thanks again!

Old 05-17-14, 06:09 AM
That check valve at Lowes should do the trick.

Happy hunting!