Rebuilding sunken turf

Old 05-24-14, 01:42 PM
Rebuilding sunken turf

I am a first time home owner and have a questions about my lawn. The previous owners had a children's playhouse in the back yard, about 5'x5'. After removing the playhouse the lawn was left sunken down and damaged. What are the proper steps I need to take to level out the area and fix the turf? Please include any equipment I would need to complete the project. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-14, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Am I correct in assuming there is no grass there just a bare or weedy sunken area?

Old 05-24-14, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

A lot depends on how much it's sunk. If it's just a little bit you can add some soil over the grass, might take several applications. Otherwise you could dig up the sod, fill in the depression and replant the sod.
A shovel and rake is all you need, a wheelbarrow can come in handy ...... and a good amount of elbow grease!

Old 05-24-14, 06:16 PM
There is a mix of grass and bear dirt in the area. The deepest areas, about sic inches down, have no grass, just dirt. Thanks for the tip marksr, if I dig the sod up and lay down new dirt, do I need to roll/flatten the area with anything?

Old 05-24-14, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
If there is grass worth saving, slice underneath it with a shovel, trying to get about 2" of dirt. A flat shovel would probably work best but whatever.

Then I'd just buy some bags of dirt from the garden center at Wal-mart and fill it in, lay the sod back down and seed the rest. If you kind of rake and pack the ground as you pour it in, then rake the surface again as you seed that should be good enough.

Old 05-25-14, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
If all you've got is a mix of grass I'd just fill in the depression with dirt and plant grass seed. Some of the existing grass may find it's way to the surface in the shallower filled areas but I don't think it would be worth the digging to save whatever bits of grass were growing under the playhouse.