Cut Irrigation wires

Old 06-10-14, 06:36 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cut Irrigation wires

New to the forum and had a question. My son's dog chewed up and removed pieces of wires. There are at least 4 wires that are broken and I have no way of knowing which wire to connect to which wire. When they installed my system they used only one color of wire which is red. The wires are in the back yard so assume they are the wires coming from the controller to the valves. Is there a way to make sure these wires are spliced correctly. I will end up using new underground graded wire and silicon filled connectors but how can I make sure I splice the correct wires?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Old 06-10-14, 07:19 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check the system controller specs. I believe that it will show 24 volt AC as the output to the zones. You can rewire the two wires from the source to the two wires going to the load without worrying about polarity.

Old 06-10-14, 07:22 PM
D
Sorry, i was not clear. There are four wires on each side of the break for a total of eight wires.

Old 06-10-14, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 262 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

This should be all 24 volts so you will not zapped, but test carefully first to make sure.
How many zones do you have? With four wires in the cable I would think you would have 3 zones but I want to make sure.

Old 06-10-14, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
One wire is the common and one is the lead from each zone. You should be able to figure it from this drawing... Look at the main controller or the zones to see what they used...

You say all red? None in its own jacket? Possibly a continuity test is in order........

Last edited by lawrosa; 06-11-14 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-10-14, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
8 wires all red? You could ohm the wires going to valves so you know which 2 wires go to each valve. But still will have to check voltage from timer to find out which 2 wires run each valve. Have to turn timer to each zone to get power.

Old 06-10-14, 10:17 PM
D
Well I went to check and what found was a white wire in the ground which I take is the common wire. I did not find the corresponding white wire so I guess I will be doing some digging on the other side to find its mate. What is puzzling to me is my system has a total of 4 zones. 1 for the front yard, 1 that runs the side yard, one for the back yard and one that runs the soakers in the front and the back yard. There are two valves in the back yard which it is between there and the controller I have the breaks in the wires. If I only have two valves in the back why do I have so many wires? It got dark and will have to look better this weekend when I return from being out of town but What feel I saw was one red wire that was not cut, 3 wires on each side that were cut and one white wire that I will have to find the other end to. I have a Hunter system with hunter valves. Does each of the valves take 2 wires?

Now as posted in a reply I believe I can check voltage with no problem by turning on each zone but not familiar with "ohm the wires". Sorry but I do a bunch of handy work but never delved too much in electrical troubleshooting. When I find which go to which zone does it matter which two wires go together as long asI know it goes to that zone?

I hope I am not being too much of a pain but just want to do it right!

Thank you for all of your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: