Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

How to stop erosion on a dirt slope under overhang

Old 06-18-14, 12:45 PM

I have a two story garage (bottom floor is block walls built into a hill, top is framed with span-crete floor), with a concrete stairway next to it. Between the stairway and the block garage wall, there is a cantilevered greenhouse, and under that is a steep slope next to the garage that's just old fill- mostly clay. Rain water has been finding its way between the driveway slabs at the top, and has now eroded out under the slabs and is washing this clay fill down the hill and creating a gulch. We're going to take out the slabs so we can get in there and fill everything back up under the driveway, and then I need to know how to put the slope back together under the greenhouse so that this doesn't happen again. Obviously, we're going to redo the drain tile under everything to make sure the rain water goes that way instead of finding its way through the cracks and onto this slope again. But what should I do with this slope? I'm thinking of getting a large order of class 5 to fill everything in, and then maybe covering the exposed slope with larger rock aggregate. Obviously nothing will grow under this overhanging greenhouse.

I'll try to get up some pics this evening. In the mean time any suggestions would be great!

-Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-14, 01:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pics would help, but #5 or larger....even rip rap may help with erosion on a hill where vegetation won't take hold. I am sure it is shaded too much from your description.

Old 06-19-14, 05:30 PM
Alright, here's the door into the greenhouse, where I just chopped up the slab:
Name:  20140619_173802.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  50.3 KB
You can see there's been some serious undermining. Here's a view from under the greenhouse, facing the opposite direction. The little circle is the end of a spancrete panel, so undermining there doesn't matter, but behind that the corner of the driveway slab is undermined:
Name:  20140619_173919.jpg
Views: 2196
Size:  42.4 KB
Can we re-pack gravel under there by pushing it up the hill with a skid loader, and by filling in from the chopped out section and packing with a vibration packer?
Here's a wider view:
Name:  20140619_173858.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  47.8 KB