large area to plant grass

Old 06-23-14, 12:56 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
large area to plant grass

I recently removed an old dilapidated shed and would like to plant grass where it was. what steps should i take to ensure some semblance of a lawn
-do i put weed killer on the area first because before i graded the area there was a ton of weed growth
-should i get hydro seed or just seed it myself?

i am sure there are a ton more issues but i am very new to planting new grass and would appreciate any help you guys could give me

Old 06-23-14, 01:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What's the condition of the soil? Do you need to bring in dirt? I would probably core aerate the area or roto-till it to make up for the compaction of the shed having been on it.

Yep, spray the weeds with Roundup, wait a couple weeks, spray what's left and then seed or sod to your preference (that said, you need to wait for the heat of summer to pass, probably looking at late August before you should actually put down seed).

Old 06-23-14, 01:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
when i had the area graded because of the removal of the concrete pilings he dug it all up and graded it flat so the are should be fine in that regard....right now there are no weeds because i just had it graded yesterday should i wait for them to pop up or just spray round up on the dirt. thanks again

Old 06-23-14, 01:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Roundup works on growing plants, spraying it now won't do anything.

Not the ideal time but you might be able to get away with planting grass now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: