Wrong size tank on lawn sprinkler pump?

Old 06-23-14, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wrong size tank on lawn sprinkler pump?

Just bought a house that has it's own well for the lawn sprinkler system. The pump has a 2 gallon pressure tank on top of the pump.
A 3 zone system, each zone runs one at a time. When 2 of the zones work, the pump runs the whole time, when the last zone comes on, it cycles on and off every 3 seconds. Only a few heads doing a flower garden area.
My question is should I get a bigger tank to help with the smaller zone but would that screw up the bigger zones? All new to me, any suggestions would be really appreciated, can't be good on that pump or my light bill to have it cycle like that.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-14, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
You are correct that it is not good for the pump to cycle on and off so quickly. That will shorten it's life. A bigger tank will help cut down on the on/off cycling. It wont eliminate it but it will slow down the cycling, and it will have no affect on how the other zones run.

Another thing you might be able to do is change the emitters on the zone that runs by itself. If you pick higher flowing heads and get their consumption to better match the pump's output it will cycle on/off less frequently. With only a few emitters it might be difficult and you might have trouble with runoff if you put down water too fast. You could also expand the trouble zone if there are any other areas nearby you want to irrigate.

Old 06-24-14, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I almost want to go to a big tank like a 20 gallon instead of just putting on a 5 or 6 gallon tank. Any sense doing that or is it overkill? I will check into the different heads. Only a real small area, almost want to bypass it all together but I'll see if there is a way to make the whole system work. Not much info out there on pressure tanks on lawn sprinkler wells!

Old 06-25-14, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
A 20 gallon tank is not overkill. A 15 gallon tank has a tidal volume of 1.8 gallons if your pump operates at 30-50 psi while a 42 gallon tank provides a 5.8 gallon tidal volume at the same pressure. What that means is if your irrigation system is flowing say 10 gallons per minute the 15 gallon pressure tank may only give your pump a 10 second rest before it kicks back on. The 42 gallon tank would let the pump rest for a little over 30 seconds.