Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Any ideas as to where to store outdoor cushions when rainy?

Old 06-25-14, 05:55 PM

I need to store the cushions somewhere when it's raining outdoors. The garage isn't very accessible, and the cushions take up too much space indoors if we put them inside through the backyard door. I was thinking of building a wooden chest built to a specific size to fit in this small space around the deck.

Something like that ^ except using PT and a lot less fancy. Any other ideas?

I'd go with a plastic one but they come in pre determined sizes that most likely will not fit in the area I intend to place them in.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
I have a plastic box similar to the one you pictured and it works well. How difficult is your area that you need a custom sized box?

Old 06-26-14, 12:51 PM
I have 45 inches in length but the problem lies in the width. There's a dryer vent which I don't know how much clearance is needed between the vent and anything else. All in all the space between the vent and the deck is about 3 feet. If I add a box let's say 2 feet in width I only have a foot for the dryer exhaust. Is that enough?

Last edited by stickshift; 06-26-14 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 06-26-14, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Just curious, but if they're outside cushions, they should be able to take the rain and dry quickly.

Old 06-26-14, 02:02 PM
Yeah but it's also for storing in the winter months where we get a lot of snow.

Last edited by stickshift; 06-26-14 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 06-27-14, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
If the box is a foot away from the dryer vent that should be fine. I'm not saying you won't get annoying lint balls but the dryer will vent properly. I'd hate to see you get a small box as cushions take up a lot of space. Our box only holds the furniture covers and that even takes a little shoving to get them all to fit in.

Old 06-27-14, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
I had an idea. What about the Ziploc Big Bags?

Storage Solutions: ZiplocŪ brand Big Bags