Sprinklers?

Old 07-06-14, 10:33 AM
Sprinklers?

Good Afternnon Everyone!

First time home buyer here, bought our house as a forclosure coming up on 2 years ago in August. When we moved in, the house wasn't destroyed, but did need a lot of cosmetic repairs. My wife and I (mainly me) have worked very hard the past couple years getting it nice. I have learned so much about drywall, I think I could own my own business. LOL. She still wants hardwood floors and granite countertops, but thats besides the point.

Since it was a forclosure, I know nothing about its history. So, we have inground sprinker systems. Didn't run them in Aug 2012 when we moved in because shortly after they would need to be winterized. Last year I didn't run them either because the lawn was a disaster. This year, I've got the lawn starting to look nice, with it getting hot out, I'd like to run the sprinklers.

Today I went, reset the clock in the panel and replaced the battery. I left the knob switched to off. I went and turned on the main water supply to the sprinkler system, and water kept flowing freely, and didnt stop. The pressure tank cycled twice and I figured something was up so I walked outside, and found one of the green boxes I've got was FILLED with water. (the picture is taken after I had dipped the majority of water out). Whats leaking, or what should I check? Can these parts be bought at menards or home depot, or should just call a sprinkler company.

I'm an auto mechanic by trade, so it cant be too terribly difficult for me to figure out and repair on my own, just I know nothing.

Thanks for any info.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  53.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-14, 12:52 PM
I dug out the sediment in the bottom, and found my leak....

Looks like the previous homeowner tried to cheaply superglue it back together.

I'll probably bite the bullet and install a new solonoid. I hope it comes apart easily without breaking anything else....

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  34.2 KB