Need Help adjusting Sprinkler rotation

Old 07-10-14, 07:36 PM
Need Help adjusting Sprinkler rotation

I inherited an old sprinkler system from the previous owner. The sprinklers spray all over the place, on the street and sidewalk, along side some of my home, and of course the grass. So lots of water wasted and with the drought in our state this year, I may get fined for wasting water.

I eventually will have to replace the sprinklers (future project), but for now, I need to know how to adjust the sprinkler rotation and length.

One of the sprinkler's says ORBIT on it, and it has a half circle with a + and - at each end with a screw in the middle to adjust it I read up what they mean and I guess full plus means 360 rotation while minus means ?? ??? not sure what minus means. So for this particular sprinkler, how do I know what the center / starting point adjustment is so I can adjust the degrees?

The other sprinkler says Rain Bird and I think it is a similar setup. Again with this one, how do I determine what the start point is so I can adjust the rotation?

For how far the water will spray, how do I determine that? I think there is a little metal tiny screw type of thing on the front of it.

another one is the one with the key but i'm not even going to into that one yet.
the above two i described have no key things.

Here's a close picture I found on the internet for the rainbird :

http://www.rainbird.com/images/produ...-arcadjust.jpg

here's the closest orbit one :

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/f...tune-up-06.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-14, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
There are fixed and adjustable emitters. It sounds like your sprinklers with the half circle symbol are fixed, half circle pattern. You cannot adjust the 180 degree pattern but you can rotate the head to get it aiming in the correct direction. Are your emitters on pop-up sprinklers or fixed risers?

The little screw with a +- is for minor adjustment of the spray distance. The heads are sold with different ranges then you use the screw to fine tune it.

Adjustable heads are available from both Orbit and Rainbird and you can replace just the emitter portion of the sprinkler head for only a couple dollars. You will need to know how far you need to spray and choose the correct emitter accordingly.