Name that weed!

Old 07-26-14, 08:30 AM
Name that weed!

Does anyone know what this weed is that has invaded my lawn? And how do I get rid of it?

http://flic.kr/p/ot5yKK

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-14, 08:38 AM
From your pic, it looks like a clover.

RR

Old 07-26-14, 09:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is clover. It fixes nitrogen to its roots for plant life to feed from. One of the most beneficial plants you can have. I remember when I was a child, my dad did everything in his power to eradicate it. In a pristine lawn, it may not be desirable for look's sake. I have it growing all through my 4.5 acre lawn. It grows low,eliminating constant cutting.

Old 07-26-14, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Actually I believe it is a type of wood sorrel, an edible plant very similar to clover. Chew some of the leaves. If it's sour, it's sorrel. It looks like this variety gets a purple tinge on the leaves.

This site has some info along with information on control.

Creeping Woodsorrel and Bermuda Buttercup Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Old 07-26-14, 11:38 AM
I had thought of sorrel, but the Op is in NY, and I didn't think it was indigenous to the north, but mostly California. Good call, Brant.

Old 07-26-14, 12:21 PM
Thank you all for the quick response. So, against my wife's advice, I went outside and started chewing on the weeds. I wouldn't actually call it sour, but it wasn't very pleasant tasting. If it is clover, do I just live with it since it is beneficial to the lawn?

Old 07-26-14, 01:05 PM
I'll try again. You won't get yard of the month, but I don't fertilize, either. Just cut this, barely due to two week build up

Name:  yard2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  52.3 KB

Old 07-26-14, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Mostly California? That sounds like something someone from California would say, Larry! You're not hiding something from us are you? haha! Yes, contrary to popular opinion, there is life that exists outside of California... and not everything is exclusive to California. LOL

Sorrel (genus: Oxalis) grows all over in many different varieties. Oxalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-14, 01:46 PM
Ahh, good to know. Nope, only been to California once, saw what I needed to see from the airplane window. Had to work there for a month. Saw how they build houses on El Camino Real, on the side of a mountain with no vegetation left. Not impressed.

Old 08-03-14, 01:44 PM
There are more than a few weeds that are shaped like clover. This particular one looks like a wood sorrel/oxalis species. Specifically creeping wood sorrel, a winter perennial. Creeping wood sorrel can be very hard to eliminate. However its most vulnerable in late fall. So spray it with a broad leaf weed control in late fall and/or early spring.