Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Four zone sprinkler system - very low water pressure.

Old 08-04-14, 01:55 PM

We have a four zone toro sprinkler system. It is rainy season for the last month or so and I haven't needed to run the sprinklers. Yesterday I ran the system to make sure there were no missing heads etc and there was very low water pressure - in all four zones. I had noticed in the past that there are several heads which seem to always leak water. I've purchased but not yet swapped out the 254-06-04 valves. I know in the last house sometimes a slug would get in the valve and that would affect water pressure - but that valve was a totally different setup. With the current system each valve is standalone.

Oh - the sprinkler system is fed from our cistern - which has been draining even with the sprinkler system off. There are only about 10 feet between the cistern and the valves and there are no apparent leaks.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-14, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention what the cistern is made of so it could possibly be cracked and leaking itself.
You also didn't mention the pump that is driving the sprinklers and what pressure it's operating at.

Old 08-05-14, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
First, determine if you have a supply problem (pump, piping, intake screen...) or irrigation system problem. Post back once we know what part of your system to focus on.

Old 08-09-14, 10:32 AM
Still have a problem but I've ruled out a few things. The cistern and the irrigation pump (which sits at the bottom of the cistern) are fine.

I don't know how many gallons the cistern is but when the system is running properly we can run all four zones for 6 minutes and only use half of the cisterns water. Today if I run the first zone for 6 minutes the cistern is half full. Earlier this week I dug up the stretch of 1 1/4 between the cistern and the valve box. No leaks found.

The yard slopes down quite a bit and even when the system is perfect a lot of heads will drip water for quite some time after the zone stops - so - in zone 1 I have removed most of the heads and capped the pvc. It stills burns through water. If I let the system run for 6+ minutes zone 2 starts to water very poorly AND zone 1 seems to keep watering as well.

I could get to 2 of the valves in the box rather easily so I replaced the diaphragms. Didn't make any difference.

I might try and get some help this week to dig up the 1 1/4 lines coming out of the control valve box. I also thought maybe I would add cutoff valves on the 1 1/4 pvc where it comes out of the box - but I was worried it would let too much pressure to build up.