help to restore my lawn

Old 08-18-14, 04:55 PM
help to restore my lawn

My front yard had to be excavated to get the lateral sewer line replaced and the city filled the hole with sand. I added 1 inch of topsoil on top of the sand and threw lawn seed on top of that. At first I was watering the lawn twice a day until i seen grass growing, then i kinda stopped watering as often. The grass turned kinda a yellow color. Then i bought a water timer and a sprinkler and i was watering once a day for 40 mins at 4 am. I also reseeded the area but cannot get my grass to grow normally. What should i do, is it possible to save the lawn? Should i add fertilizer? Here's a few pictures:

Name:  20140818_164814.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  20140818_164818.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  20140818_164825.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  43.8 KB

Last edited by johnny_h; 08-18-14 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-14, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the problem is, and will remain, too much sand and not enough topsoil. Water goes right though the topsoil and into the sand. It draws the water and any nutrients out of the soil and away from the roots.
I would dig it up and put in 4" - 6" of topsoil to give the grass roots a place to grow and spread, and for the water to stay in the soil longer.

Old 08-19-14, 04:47 AM
So I would have to remove everything by hand and start over? I originally put 1 cubic yard of topsoil. How much do you think I should put this time around? Also I didn't compact the topsoil with a roller, I guess I should rent one and do it once I lay the new topsoil?

Old 08-19-14, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
AS goldstar stated, you need to have 4"-6" of top soil above the sand. I don't know how much dirt that would be but you need to remove the sand down to at least that depth. I wouldn't bother with a roller for that small of an area.

Old 08-19-14, 05:29 AM
So the city folks hauled your good top soil away and brought back sand. Call the city and state you want your dirt back.

Old 08-19-14, 06:21 AM
So the city folks hauled your good top soil away and brought back sand. Call the city and state you want your dirt back.
Ya well it's a bit complicated, they replaced the sewer line because the no-good plumber that I hired though it was collapsed but once they dugged it up, they found that it wasn't collapsed, only blocked by gravel and rocks that came from my french drains because in the 1960's they used to tie the french drain to the sewer lines. So the city didn't charge me for the excavation and for ripping up the street and the sidewalk. So that's why I didn't complain and I trying to tackle it on my own.

So I will dig up the area and put more topsoil down and reseed after that, I will see how that goes.

Old 09-03-14, 10:55 AM
What would happen if I just throw the 6 inch of topsoil on top of the old lawn without removing it first? Would it work or would I have trouble down the road?

Old 09-03-14, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you have a little room to build up the ground and adding more topsoil should help, I'm not sure it would be enough to get grass to grow as well as the neighboring part of the lawn.

Old 05-12-15, 04:56 AM
I didn't have a chance to fix my lawn before winter last year so now I am attempting to fix it again. I am thinking of just adding more top soil on what is already there but I notice that the 1 cubic yard that I added last year has compacted down quite a bit and it's not level with the rest of the soil. So do you guys think just by adding top spoil on top of what is already there it will be ok to reseed on that new added soil?

Old 05-12-15, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
I would get the grade to where you want it and even go a bit higher to allow for compaction/settling. Then seed as soon as possible to get the grass established before summer.