Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Watering question - sprinklers not putting enough water down?

Old 09-15-14, 09:57 AM

I have 3 of these (Amazon.com : Orbit 56667N Zinc Impact Sprinkler on Tripod Base : Lawn And Garden Sprinklers : Patio, Lawn & Garden) going across my somewhat large front yard, but I don't think they are putting down enough water.

I was recently reading up on how much to water my lawn, and it seems that many websites said something similar (give or take) to this:
Your lawn needs 1” to 2” of water per week, and each time you water, the water should reach a depth of 6” down into your lawn.

Here’s how to determine your watering schedule:

The next time you’re getting ready to water, set an empty tuna fish-sized can in each area where you’re going to put your sprinkler.

Turn on your sprinkler for 30 minutes.
Turn off your sprinkler
Stick a ruler into the tuna can and see how much water is in it.
If you don’t have ˝” of water, keep watering (time yourself!) until you do.

Now, let’s determine if your lawn needs 1” of water per week or 2” per week.

After you have gathered ˝” of water in your tuna can, take a 6” screwdriver and push it into your lawn, up to the hilt. If it goes in easily, you’re done! If not, you need to water some more, perhaps gathering up to 1” in your tuna can.
So I put down a small container (similar to a tuna can), but after 30 minutes I barely had 1/4" of water.

Does this type of rotary sprinkler simply not put down enough water? It gets good coverage (i.e. shoots water pretty far), but by doing so does it not put down enough? Am I better off with a smaller radius which will perhaps put down more water?

Also, I tried the screwdriver test and could barely push down more than a few inches.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you just need to let the sprinklers run longer - if 30 minutes gives you 1/4", then you'll need to run them for an hour if you want to put down 1/2".

Old 09-15-14, 10:05 AM
Thanks. Are there better/similar sprinklers that will put down more water? I'd hate to be running my water for 3 hours or more (i.e. sprinkler one for an hour, #2 for hour, #3 for an hour).

Old 09-15-14, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
I'm sure there are but do you have the service for it?

As an example, while I don't have a system, I have two hose bibs outside and it takes me 16 different sprinkler locations to cover my entire lawn. Hence, one sprinkler off each bib and I have to move each of them seven times so an hour of water in each spot takes eight hours. So, I put a splitter on each one figuring that would cut my time in half - no go, I don't have enough pressure to run two sprinklers off each bib

Old 09-15-14, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that's similar to what I do between my front and back yard. I can only run 1 in the front and 1 in the back (i.e. one on each hose bibb) at a time. I do move them a bit as well. That's why I was hoping 30 minutes would be enough each time, not an hour...