Seeding New Lawn While Leaves Fall From Tree

Old 09-15-14, 07:16 PM
Seeding New Lawn While Leaves Fall From Tree

Now (mid-September) is the best time to reseed a "disaster lawn" but the leaves are falling from an overhanging tree.

The leaves are "small" like two inches so they cannot be raked without scraping the ground surface and disturbing the seedlings.

I suspect that blowing the leaves will blow the seeds away too.

Will the lawn sprout while covered with leaves?

Should I skip this seeding window of opportunity and wait until the spring seeding window?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-14, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Might be too late already anyway - best time is when the peak of the summer heat is gone, which is typically the end of August to the first week or so of September around here.

What are the high and low temperatures there right now?

Old 09-16-14, 10:38 AM
The normal temperature range right now here is about 70 F daytime and about 55 nighttime.

The tree has already been shedding little by little for almost 2 weeks.

Old 09-16-14, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, your temps are ok now if they stay that way for a while - rye grass typically only needs a few days to germinate but bluegrass need about three weeks.

Too many leaves to pick them up by hand? Not the worst thing in the world to walk over a reseeded area.

Old 09-16-14, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
I would not delay in your area as it's getting into the good planing season further south. Optimally you'd like to give the grass a chance to get it's roots well established, maybe a couple mowings, before winter sets in. But, when in doubt I consider fall to be the best time to plant grass. Even if you're too late the seed will generally over winter and pick back up in the spring provided you can prevent it from being washed away or eaten by birds.

Old 09-17-14, 06:17 AM
Way too many leaves to pick up by hand.

Old 09-17-14, 07:32 AM
I'm over in Michigan, so perhaps slightly less severe weather than you experience, but not dramatically different, and the weather of course is one of our most unpredictable challenges, but I have had good results with fall seeding, so would probably go for it. Although this is about the last week that I would lean that way. On one hand, the sun is getting farther away, but, with the leaves falling, more sunlight is presumably reaching the earth. Regardless of spring or fall, after lightly raking the seed in, I always straw it. Unless the leaves are coming down faster than I am envisioning, the straw will keep them above the seed, and, assuming you get a few warm breezy days as we often do in the fall, you may get lucky and a lot of them will blow away, or, if not completely, at least rotate them a bit so they don't pile up enough to smother the seed. And you always have the possibility of waiting until spring, only to find that it's one of those years when we go right from snow to hot and dry, and you can't keep up with watering it. Even now, it's obviously going to need water, but the cooler nights will require less of it. As mentioned, you're going to need some warm days, probably close to 6 weeks worth for the Kentucky bluegrass or whatever you use with the rye, so I would be thinking about what the weather is around Halloween, and count back the days or weeks.