Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

How long do I go to prison for if I do not pay for damage to neighbors yard?

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-14, 11:48 AM

Recently I had a very large dead oak tree cut down because huge limbs kept on falling out of it so it was a safety hazard and damage hazard to my house and one of my neighbor's house. The Tree cutting service had to use my other neighbors yard to get to my back yard to cut it down. I had asked the neighbor if they could use his yard and he said yes. Whenever they drove across the neighbors yard some shallow tracks were made. I was going to fill in and seed where the lawn needs to be seeded in the 2015 spring. My neighbor says that he wants a person he knows to run a lawn aerator over his lawn and that he estimated it to cost $600 to do this. I do not want to pay $600 dollars to aerate his lawn whenever it will not do much to fix the tracks in the lawn problem.

If a person sues another person for very minor lawn damage do they have to pay or do they have the option of going to prison and not paying?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-14, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
There are no debtor's prisons in the US.

Did you talk to the neighbor about damage to the lawn ahead of time?

I would get a few contractors out to bid the job - as mentioned in your other threads, the cost for such is not something we can estimate remotely but unless these tracks are a mile long, $600 seems excessive.

Old 11-04-14, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Shouldn't or wouldn't this be the tree cutting services problem? They did the damage, not you.
Just asking!

Old 11-04-14, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know about IL, but here in CA Tree Trimmers charge quite a bit. It's called liability, and their insurance is high.
It's the contractor's problem, not yours. Contact the contractor, and ask for a certificate of insurance.

If they give you a hard time, post back for some other ways of getting their info.

The trimmers can't drop a tree trunk on a neighbor's house, or make ruts in the yard, and expect to just say Oops.

Old 11-04-14, 01:38 PM
Joseph - You are responsible for most the costs. It was your dead tree that you wanted removed. If YOU did not have the tree, there would be no problem for him or YOU.

YOU hired the contractor to do the work and should have made sure he was insured to protect YOU. The contractor was working for YOU and working under your guidance and permission you obtained.

YOU got permission to have the contractor go onto someones property.

YOU knew you would be responsible for the planned seeding and damages at a later date.

The aerating of the entire lawn is the neighbors choice if you do the filling and seeding at a time agreed on. - That has nothing to do with filling the ruts. Any reasonable person realizes there is some give and take on the healing of vegetation and lawns.

Dick

Old 11-04-14, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Enough with the questions about the same issue!!! Either tell us the whole story and wait for replies or just go do what you want.

Closing this thread.

Closed Thread