Bahiagrass seed vs. sod

Old 11-24-14, 08:15 AM
Bahiagrass seed vs. sod

I live in west central Florida and would like to replace my existing St. Augustine lawn with Argentine Bahia grass. My biggest concerns are price and the amount of weeds that I can expect with either seed or sod applications. I realize that sod is much more expensive and quicker but I don't know how much of it will be weeds. However, Scotts specifies that it's seed is 99.9% weed-free, if that can be believed. I used sod a few years ago in the front of my property and it was loaded with Bermuda grass. Is there any way to purchase sod that reduces the likelihood of a high percentage of weeds? Has anyone out there used Scotts Argentine Bahia grass seed successfully? Was it loaded with weeds? I'd like to tackle this project in the spring so any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.....thanks, Buz

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-14, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Prep is really important either way. It's been my experience that sod comes pretty weed-free but if you haven't killed the weeds in your soil, they'll come through the sod.

Either way, I like to start out with a soil test and then by spraying everything with RoundUp (or other glyophospate 2%) product, waiting a couple weeks and then spraying anything still alive again. Then roto-till the soil and include any amendments the soil test indicated.

Now you're ready for seed or sod.

Old 11-24-14, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to live in central fla and never remember weeds being an issue with sod [bahia or st augstine] It was often an issue with seeded lawns but as Mitch said, it was likely from poor prep or other contamination not the seed.