Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Regrow Front Lawn after 2 years of drought...suggestions neeeded please

Old 11-30-14, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We've had 2 years of drought and the state won't let us water our lawn for the rest of the year anymore. Nobody has gotten fined but we're following the new guidelines to conserve water.

My front lawn has been pretty much dead brown. Same w/ my neighbor's lawn. My neighbor didnt even bother to cut his lawn thru the drought. It was like 2-3 feet.

But the previous weekend and now this last weekend, we got lots of rain finally. Neighbors lawn is a nice lush green (he did finally cut it before the rain). Mine is a mess! I have some dead spots, some good spots, and a lot of other spots with different grass - crab grass, regular fescue grass, clovers, weeds, purple clovers - wth is that!?!?. It looks terrible. (But the gophers did come back so that's a good thing right?).

I did a slight experiment on one part of the lawn, about 3x2 sq ft where I bought some scotts fescue seed, threw it on the dirt, and covered it with top soil. It did grow some beautiful grass in that area after the rains stopped. But to do this all over my lawn will be a huge effort and a big cost.

So is there any other way to help regrown my lawn? Is the best way to do what I did above - throw some grass seed and cover it with soil and water? or are there any other efficient ways?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-14, 05:08 PM
Received 91 Votes on 83 Posts
I think your best bet is what you did. Then if you can water it lots. When the drought hits again don't cut it. Do what your neighbor did. Grass will go dormant when conditions warrant and will bounce back when ready. Cutting it during a drought will only damage its ability to conserve moisture.

Old 12-01-14, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
IMO a big mistake many make is cutting the grass too short which hampers it's ability to withstand the heat and lack of rain. You might try setting your mower up a notch or two in the future.

Old 12-01-14, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Seed needs to be kept moist until it germinates so there's not much you can do, IMO, without the rain helping you.

That said, I agree with the leaving it longer suggestion.

Old 12-01-14, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
Re-seeding is the least expensive way to get grass growing. In many areas of California you are fighting Mother Nature. Many areas actually have a desert climate and the only way green grass can exist is by artificial watering. Over the last 100 years California's water problems seem to have gotten worse and I don't see any long term improvement on the way. I would be strongly tempted to do something other than grass that would not require watering.

Old 12-01-14, 10:36 AM
Received 91 Votes on 83 Posts
PDane is correct but local codes may not allow alternative "lawns". You need to check with your town and ask what alternatives are allowed.