rope knot dilemma

Old 12-20-14, 02:23 PM
rope knot dilemma

How can I get this knot out of this big boat/ship dock size rope? It's been wet of course and shrunk tightened up pretty good. I already tried sticking it in a big bench vise and trying to hammer a big spike (giant screwdriver actually) between where it knots with the intent of maybe being able to loosen it that way but I couldn't get it driven in good enough to do that. Any ideas? If I could just get one part of the knot loosened the rest would come too. And, I already tried throwing it on the ground and taking pictures of it (see below) but that didn't help to loosen it either. The rope is about 2 1/2" in diameter.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-14, 03:00 PM
Any luck pushing any part of it back through the knot? - Is it flexible enough to bend the knotted portion repeatedly till something loosens? Do it till you and the vise are tired, then repeat the next day, etc. - Steam it till it softens enough for you to force the screwdriver in? That would be your last resort because it will dry up tighter than it is now. - Fabric softener?

Old 12-20-14, 03:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Old 12-20-14, 03:15 PM
Okay thanks for the replies. I'll try some of that stuff. Fight with it some more. Get back to ya'll if I have any luck. thanks again

Old 12-20-14, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
You need a marlin spike, but a scratch awl might work as well. You work it and wiggle it and pry at it.

Sailors around the world do it every day....so can you.

Old 12-20-14, 05:05 PM
Any luck pushing any part of it back through the knot?
YES! As a matter of fact. Got it! Whew! Thanks.

Old 12-20-14, 09:30 PM
You need a marlin spike, but a scratch awl might work as well. You work it and wiggle it and pry at it.
Slight correction; a marlinspike is used with wire rope, for fiber you use a fid. Marlinspike is steel and a fid is wood.

Fid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-20-14, 10:12 PM
Marlinspike is steel and a fid is wood.
^Old-time fids maybe, but

Modern fids are typically made of aluminum, steel, or plastic.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia^

Old 12-20-14, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
True dat Furd...but the BM's used what they had. And they all had knives with a fold out marlinspike or a separate pouch for one.

If they were weaving new mooring line loops or similar, I believe you are correct, they used a fid.

Old 12-20-14, 10:56 PM
The United States Navy occupational rating of boatswain's mate (abbreviated as BM) is a designation given by the Bureau of Naval Personnel (BUPERS) to enlisted members who are rated or "striking" for the rating as a deck seaman.
Boatswain's mates train, direct, and supervise personnel in ship's maintenance duties in all activities relating to marlinspike, ...

^From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-14, 09:58 AM
Well, what the heck do I know, I've been away from all things marine for more than forty years.

Old 12-21-14, 10:26 AM
Don't feel bad, fellow old-timer. I'd never even heard of a fid, Furd. And never knew what a BM was either (well, not that kind of BM anyway).

Old 12-21-14, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Like I said...there were fids and marlinspikes used. Also lighter fluid and Zippos. Trust me, BUPERS really didn't know everything. After 24 yrs I think I learned a bit more than they did.

I was an ET but moored a few ships in my time and drove an LCP in Hong Kong harbor (talk about traffic!). I should probably have been a BM, but I liked air conditioning. Lol

Old 12-21-14, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
drove an LCP in Hong Kong harbor
Remind me sometime to tell you how are never sober Captain managed to accidental invade China from Hong Kong harbor back in the days when Hong Kong was British.