Lawn mower back fire

Old 02-10-15, 01:48 PM
Lawn mower back fire

My riding lawn mower was backfiring a lot and the exhaust would get red in seconds. I messed with the throttle cable and now if I run it on high it sounds like a gulping sound and its backfiring a little now. I took off the carb, cleaned it, put it back on with every piece. What am I missing?? I've replaced the fuel cut off solenoid, fuel filter, oil, etc. and I have no idea how to adjust carb and I'm sure that's what I have to do. I messed with the low speed adjuster and the other one but it didn't make I difference until I either screwed it in a lot or less

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-15, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Do you remember running over a rock or large stump lately? It is possible you partially sheared your drive pin on the drive shaft and it has shifted timing. You can check it by pulling the cover off the top and looking down at the key to see if it matches the slot. If not, you have sheared it.

Old 02-10-15, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
I agree, it sounds like a partially sheared flywheel key.

Old 02-10-15, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
What lawnmower do you have? Is it a push mower or a riding mower? I'd suspect a sheered key on the flywheel if it's a push mower but you mentioned a fuel cutoff solenoid and I don't know of a push mower that has one.

Old 02-10-15, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
PD, he says it is a riding one, but must be diesel. My ZTR has the fuel shut off solenoid. Wouldn't have anything to do with it backfiring, however, IMO. FLywheel key.