16' treated post

Old 02-24-15, 08:17 AM
Received 56 Votes on 51 Posts
16' treated post

Well, another one of those posts, not sure where to put it, so we'll try here. Anyway, I told the wife that if spring returns I will set a post with some cross arms, ropes, and pulleys to keep the bird feeders out of reach of the deer. Am thinking a 16' treated post, 4' in the ground, 12' exposed. A 4x4 would be plenty sufficient, but, not being tied to anything else, am wondering how bad it would bow. So, just looking for opinions, as it's probably not anything that anyone is going to know for sure, but would a 6x6 be more apt to stay straighter? And I did think of something like a 2" pipe, but could get a bit more creative as far as the cross arms, squirrel guard, etc. with a wood post.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-15, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Eh, you know how treated wood warps as it dries so I would want something already dry when I bought it so you could have some hope it would stay pretty straight.

Rule of thumb is also typically 1/3 buried and 2/3 above ground but if there's not much for the wind to grab, you might be ok.

Old 02-24-15, 08:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Also, look at the checking on the sides of the lumber. If it is straight up and down, it should be fine. If it even slightly goes at an angle, that will be a twisting point. Dry is best, and the more you can put in the ground is better. 4x4 will bend more readily than 6x6, obviously.

Old 02-24-15, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or fill a 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe with concrete and a couple of rebar. Bury the pipe first then fill with concrete. You may be able to find a plumbing supply that will cell a full length joint, 21 feet, but you could probably make it with 10 foot lengths of pipe and couplings since the concrete will provide major strength. Use a pressure tee (not DVW tee) at the top with bushings and a contentious length of concrete filled 1" PVC pipe for the arms. (Bushings reamed slightly so crossarm will slide through easily.) Same can be done with galvanized pipe but would cost a lot more.

Hey, I know way outside the box.

Old 02-24-15, 10:36 AM
Thanks, guys. As far as the ratio of buried to exposed, I know that it's not optimal, but it's just a guesstimate at this point. I figured the maximum clearance I would need from ground at 10', which I could probably drop down to 9', added 2' for the feeders, which I may not need to allow that much for, came up with 12' above grade, and figured a 16 footer, with 4' in the ground, was enough to invest in a bird feeder post. Will definitely watch the checking too when I get it, and may still go with a 6x6 for the long haul, but just hate paying three times as much for some things. Had thought of other options like you mentioned, Ray, and in fact have a length of 2-1/2" or 3" pipe that I glanced at for this last week, but that would turn into a bit more work as far as mounting pulleys, etc., and the wood post would fit in better, being in the country. Again, thank you. I appreciate the input.

Old 02-24-15, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And lets not forget redwood.

Old 02-24-15, 01:28 PM
I will check with the lumber yard on the redwood, but may be back here in a month or so asking for donations!

Old 02-24-15, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I think you'd be more apt to find cedar than redwood in the east .... personally I'd rather put up with a twisted post than have to pay for a special order redwood post