Has anyone cut a tire in half for a planter?`

Old 03-08-15, 06:50 PM
Has anyone cut a tire in half for a planter?`

I saw a landscaping idea I want to try using tires cut in half, just like half a doughnut. It showed the half tires set around a whole tire like petals on a flower. Has anyone done this already? It looks as if I have to cut around the inside also. What's the best saw/knife to use?

I see lots of pictures, but no good directions. Please don't tell me about other ways to cut tires. I like this getup.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-15, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what you will use, but consider you will be cutting through a kazillion strands of steel. I went through two demo blades on a reciprocating saw just cutting one off a rim once. Not gonna be easy. Maybe s grinder with a metal cutting blade.

Old 03-08-15, 07:05 PM
My son and I tried to cut a bunch of tires in half just as you have shown. Our objective was to compact them for disposal. Well, after cutting the first one, the rest went into the dumpster whole. I gained a new respect for just how tough a tire really is.

Bud

Old 03-09-15, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cutting tires was difficult before they started adding steel belts! A metal cutting blade on a grinder will probably work best. I doubt there is an easy method

Old 03-09-15, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In the picture the only thing cut out was the beda. The sidewall of the tire can be cut with a sharp knife. If you try to cut the thread you wjll be there all day.

Old 03-09-15, 06:47 AM
Okay but hopefully we'll have some off the rim.

Old 03-09-15, 06:59 AM
Off the rim is what I was dealing with. Let us know if you have better success than we did.

Bud

Old 03-09-15, 07:50 AM
Whatever tool you decide on, protect your eyes and hands. Cutting or grinding through the cords will produce a lot of small bits of steel, and the exposed ends can be very sharp. In fact you may find that you don't like this approach due to the exposed cords. Personally, after the last couple that I cut off of rims, I hope to never have to do that again. Can't say for sure as it was a couple of years ago, but think that I found a reciprocating saw worked best.

Old 03-09-15, 09:04 AM
Another caution is to do the cutting in a place where all of those tiny steel shards can be cleaned up. In a yard they have the potential to get stuck in bare feet.

Bud

Old 03-09-15, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Be sure you get the thinnest blade for the grinder you can find. And wear a face mask and gloves.