Spray heads don't come up.....

Old 03-26-15, 09:02 AM
Spray heads don't come up.....

I have one zone that doesn't seem to have enough pressure to push the spray heads up. All of the other zones work fine. When the faulty zone is activated, water comes out of each head, but weakly. My first thought is that the valve may need to be repaired or replaced. Not having too much expertise in irrigation matters, I can use some guidance to troubleshoot the problem and fix it........please respond ASAP.....thanks, Buz

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-15, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
You did not provide any specifics about your system such as brand, what valves, emitters and how many so I can only speak generally. You can disassemble your valve and remove any debris. That would also be a good time to replace diaphragm. You can also confirm that you are supplying the system with the required water flow and pressure. Maybe your supply line has become corroded or a shutoff valve is partially closed. Also look at the number of emitters and they nozzles used on the problem zone and compare with the zones that are working. If the problem zone has more emitters and/or is using higher flow nozzles that can indicate a design/layout issue.

One fun trick is to activate the problem zone. Then go physically pull up the risers. Often what you'll see is that pulling one or two to the full up position will magically make the others on the zone pop up and start working. This doesn't fix anything but does show that you don't have adequate flow volume to raise the heads. There is a lot of leakage around the tube when not fully up so you have to insure enough flow to get through that phase and get the tubes fully up and sealed.

Old 03-26-15, 11:25 AM
As far as the system specifics, about all I can tell you is that there are 6 Rainbird 1800 spray heads and that the zone has worked well for several years so I assume the pressure is adequate. I have no idea what the valve is and don't know how to find it. I also pulled up the risers as you suggested but the other heads still didn't come up.

Old 03-26-15, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
There is a restriction somewhere. Start looking around your property to find the valves. Find your controller and see if the wires can point you in the right direction. They may be above ground behind some bushes, on a garage or shed wall or underground in a well so look for a plastic or cast iron cover somewhere on the ground.

Old 03-26-15, 12:14 PM
There are multiple valve boxes in the yard but In don't know how to identify the appropriate valve for the problem zone. Any suggestions????

Old 03-26-15, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Usually each zone valve will have a manual activation knob that you can turn. You could go to each valve and try it. Label each valve while you're there for future service.

If you give us the model number off the valve or a picture of it.... we could help you further.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 03-26-15, 11:41 PM
Can I assume that by turning the knob on the valve the corresponding zone will be activated without using the controller????

Old 03-27-15, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, manually activating the zone valve will turn on that zone without the controller's input. Some valves have a lever on top, some have a screw and others you simply unscrew the solenoid a quarter turn and the valve will turn on.

If you can't find a valve that turns on the problem zone it's possible you have a main valve somewhere. Some systems turn on/open the main valve any time a zone is on so both have to be open to get water to flow.

Old 03-27-15, 08:37 AM
Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I don't have time to check it out this morning but will do so ASAP and let you know how I make out. Thanks again for your concern and patience.....Buz

Old 03-27-15, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Irrigation systems can be annoying to debug if you weren't there when it was installed. There is no real standard or set ways. Some are installed by professionals, some by amateurs and quite often they have to get creative to make everything work with the existing water main location, controller location and power for it, control valves and zones in the yard. What makes it worse is valve boxes can get buried under mulch or bushes grow and conceal them.

Old 03-28-15, 10:50 AM
I located 3 valve boxes that contain a total of 5 solenoid valves (3,1,&1). The box with 3 in it has 2 Irritrol 205S's along with one I can't really identify. It looks like H?T. I manually activated the Irritrols and they worked fine. However, when I turned the 3rd one as indicated on the unit, nothing happened. I did notice 2 wires that may have previously been connected in close proximity to each other, so I connected them but the result was unsuccessful so I put them back the way they were. The other 2 solenoid valves were also unidentifiable but seem to be manually activated in the same manned as the 3rd one previously mentioned but they didn't turn any zones on either. Can I assume that each valve only controls one zone or can they control multiple zones? The reason I ask is because I only found 5 valves but have 11 zones. Do you suppose there might be more valve boxes somewhere?

Old 03-28-15, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
So, you controller has 11 programmed zones. You should have 11 solenoids somewhere.

Each solenoid has two wires connected to it. A positive and a ground or common. There is usually one ground/common that goes out to a group of solenoids and each solenoid has one wire connected to that one wire. So, if you have a whole group of solenoids that don't work it's usually the ground/common wire. Then each solenoid has it's own individual positive wire.

The one solenoid you tried manually activating and it didn't work could mean it's clogged with sediment. Disassembling it will tell you for sure. Just make sure you turn off the water supply to the irrigation system first. You may also want to have a replacement diaphragm on hand before taking it apart so you can replace it as long as you have it apart. Diaphragms are a wear item and eventually need to be replaced.

Old 03-28-15, 04:25 PM
Based on your explanation I am assuming that the positive wire of each solenoid is connected to the individual zones at the controller. Is that correct?

Old 03-28-15, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Every valve has two wires. One wire goes to the numbered zone connection and the other goes to the C or common terminal. If theory...... if you have 11 zone valves..... you will have 11 wires connected to C.

If you look at the wiring in the valve box you should see one wire from each valve connected to each other.

Name:  valve wiring.jpg
Views: 2354
Size:  38.2 KB

Old 03-31-15, 10:54 AM
Many thanks to all concerned. I replaced the solenoid and valve (once I found the right one) and the zone is now working fine. Much appreciation to all.....thanks, buzcar