"Everything" weed and grass killer

Old 04-13-15, 05:48 AM
"Everything" weed and grass killer

Any recommendations on a weed and grass killer? I'm looking to wipe out all growth down the side of my house near the air conditioners and then fill in with rocks to weeds etc getting into my new units.

My other thought is to by a small electric tiller and just rip it all up, but there are some underground wires and the cable connections in that area.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-15, 06:18 AM
Old 04-13-15, 06:24 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If you are concerned about underground cable, do it by hand. Remove everything & replace it with bricks.

Old 04-13-15, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
The Pramitol that Joe linked is good stuff. Be careful with it if there is a chance of runoff from a heavy rain as it is a sterilizer. It kills the plants and nukes the soil for up to a year. It should soak down into the soil not runoff. If it get his with too much water and runs off you'll be left with a dead streak where the water ran.

Anything containing glyphosate will kill most grasses and weeds. It's available under many brand names like RoundUp. It kills when absorbed through the green leafy part of plants so you can spray a vine growing on the tree and the vine's leaves will absorb it but not the trees trunk. It does not sterilize the soil and it quickly binds with clay in the soil so it does not have the runoff issue like Pramitol.

Old 04-20-15, 11:21 AM
Lowe's had Round Up Extended Control on sale so I picked some up. Only problem is it has a crappy battery operated sprayer that's useless. Anyone know if I can pour it into a hose attached sprayer without diluting it too much? I have to spray my entire backyard which is all weeds and no grass.

Old 04-20-15, 11:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know about a hose siphon type sprayer but a pump up garden sprayer will work well.

Old 04-20-15, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
hmhill17, you definitely don't want to spray all vegetation with Roundup. Gee. You spray glyphosphate on the leaves of the plant you want dead. It is systemic and will kill only that plant and will prevent it from growing again. It will not leach into the soil and damage plants next to it. Be very specific with your spray. I use it on my fence line to kill honeysuckle. Did it last year and have zero growing this year. All other vegetation is intact. I do transfer it from the goofy electric sprayer to a pump sprayer, too.

Old 04-21-15, 08:34 AM
My entire backyard is weeds I want gone, that's why I was looking at a hose sprayer.

Old 04-21-15, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A pump up garden sprayer might not be as quick/easy but it will give you good control and is a lot faster than the factory battery operated sprayer. I'd use an airless sprayer before I'd go with a garden hose - I'd be too concerned the water with the hose would over dilute the weed killer.