New Homeowner Lawn and Garden advice

Old 04-15-15, 07:34 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Question New Homeowner Lawn and Garden advice

Moved to our new (old) home in November . So this is the first spring for us.

We have a fairly large yard (about 0.5 acre) but the past owner did not maintain the yard very well . There are some grass but not something like a professional landscape.

My wish list is to --

Have a nice green lawn with some flower beds on front and side (it is a corner plot).

Request advice on where and how to start .

The previous owner has made a mess with all sorts of bricks , wood scattered all across lawn which I will need to clean

I have started cleaning the yard (leaves, tree branches etc.) There are some shabby bushes which I plan to cut . But how do I go after that. Can I use the bricks to make a couple of flower beds . How ?

What tools and chemicals do I need ?

I also plan to plant a few sunflower across the boundary . How do I prepare for that ?

Old 04-16-15, 06:53 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Lawn Care

I live farther south than you, but I will give it a shot.

Use a mulching mower to cut the grass as needed.

Apply a good lawn fertilizer now.

Give your lawn a season to show what if any weeds you may have so you will know what treatments you will need for next year.

Any material such as bricks used to build flower beds will need to have the grass trimmed around the outer edges with a string trimmer.

Do not use any wood near the house to avoid attracting termites.

To prepare sunflower seed bed, rent a rototiller to work the soil to a depth of several inches. Not sure of the exact depth to plant the seeds, but larger seeds go deeper and smaller seeds are planted shallow. The seed packet will have instructions.

Good luck with your new home. Come back with photos of your results.

Old 04-16-15, 06:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
I would add that you'd want to prepare the soil and seed any bare spots that you might have.

Old 04-20-15, 09:57 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to take it step by step.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, just saying

I was in the same situation as you are and learned A LOT doing so. Almost done. I am in MA as well so if you need to do any reseeding, do so NOW before it gets to hot out or else you'll have to wait till fall.

You say you want a nice green lawn, what type of irrigation do you have? Watering is KEY to maintain a healthy, green lawn.

If you need to pull any bushes out, do that first as whatever you use may damage the lawn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: