Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Plants/bulbs and help getting them gone for good.

Old 04-27-15, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've got what seems to be an endless amount of these green plants that I want completely gone. I was going to pull them, but when I started I realized that each 'plant' was actually a grouping of plants which equals several very tiny bulbs.

What is the best thing I can spray to kill these things for good?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  45.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-27-15 at 08:38 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-15, 09:41 PM
Temporarily Suspended
"Endless" is an understatement. It would take way to much spray to get rid of all of those. It looks like you have to do a lot of digging. Maybe hire a day worker.

Old 04-27-15, 09:53 PM
lol... that's just one bed. There's 3 or 4 more like it on the property, and around trees also.

What if I till up the dirt then spray?

Basically, I don't want anything growing around my property but grass.

Nice clean edges, nice clean beds, ... done.

New house... just gotta get there and having a bit of trouble doing it.

Old 04-27-15, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's not that big a deal. Spray won't help much on established bulb type plants. Sure, they will brown up and the green stuff will die off, but they'll be back next year.

Get a spade fork and dig down 10" pulling the deeper soil to the top (or pay someone to do it), then pull out the plants/bulbs. Do they bloom at all? Give them away if so, if not, trash them.

Tilling will probably cause little chunks that will regenerate.

Old 04-28-15, 01:52 PM
How about tilling and then soaking the dirt with high content vinegar water?

Or

Tilling then covering with black plastic and bark on top?

Old 04-28-15, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
I'll tell you, bulbs don't work that way. They aren't like seeds that may sprout once, not be able to grow to the sun, then die off since they couldn't reseed. Bulbs will keep trying to come back for several seasons, though the plastic should keep them from coming through.

I don't understand why you would just want mulch beds though. No plants or color in them at all?

Old 04-28-15, 05:55 PM
Uggg..... I already can't stand bulbs!

I don't know.. lately I've been paying attention to all the yards (since I'm am owner of one all of a sudden- a large one) and what I think looks best is nice clean lines with bark or gravel beds. Maybe a small nicely manicured shrub or two. Just what catches my eye.

I have a spot reserved for a small Japanese Maple - that's about all I'm interested in.

There are sooooo many bulbs. I feel doomed.

Old 04-29-15, 12:52 PM
Do you know what kind of bulbs they are? The foliage looks like a daylily but the tuber does not.

If you can determine what kind they are, you have a few other options:

(a) Call local libraries and ask if they would like some bulbs. In my area, libraries frequently rely on volunteer help to maintain their gardens. I believe they would also accept plants in good condition.

(b) Call local garden clubs with the same offer.

(c) Post on Craigs List, adding "bring shovel." Gardeners often are willing to come over and do the work to get free bulbs.

I don't know what area you're in, but if you were in mind, I'd be over with gloves, a shovel and plenty of bags to get some free bulbs.

Old 04-29-15, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
I agree with NorthernWinds. I had a bunch of roses at my other place and I just didn't want to keep up with the watering and other maintenance. A post on Freecycle (you probably have that in your area) had multiple replies and they were gone within days. Just a simple description and "You dig, bring tools".

If you have any pictures or other information of what they look like bloomed it would help.

Bulbs are good in some ways, they take very little care compared to other plants, you just need to fertilize, water occasionally and divide when needed. And of course clean up the brown stuff after they die back. No pruning or insect issues to speak of. Problem is they have a short life when they look good compared to a lot of other plants.